Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Today was a Better Day

Before you ask, no I don't feel better physically, but I got myself back into the right frame of mine.  How?  I put that pain away on a shelf to ignore like I do my dusting.  

Kimberly came and ate leftovers with me last night.  Isn't that a true friend?  One that will eat leftovers with you?  Just as we stepped in my door, we heard a loud screech then an immediate CRASH!  We opened the door, raced a couple of feet to look down at this:


We think the BMW worker that was driving this car may be in deep caca... it looked like he may have been taking it for a test drive and pulled out in front of the taxi driver.  We are purely guessing here - but we doubt a BMW serviceman owned the BMW.  He was in the same uniform the BMW mechanics wear... 

I am still wondering about that poor guys job.  If you look at the skid marks, the taxi may have been driving a bit too fast - and there was a van blocking the view of the BMW   :-(  There didn't appear to be any injuries.

Back to Kimberly - imagine a friend coming to eat left-overs with me.  How sweet is that?


Thanks again Kimberly!  Don't worry, Sundays are still on.  Expect that SMS.  It will come over and over  :-)


This morning, I got up and went right in to get my blood work done.  Thank goodness that was behind me, but it was nearly painless.  I go back in on Saturday morning to get the results.

Once I left there, I walked to the other side of Orchard Rd , met my friend Debbie and we went to quilting class.  Do you know I just realized I had not talked about our quilting class?  Debbie and I met Mandy last week and we ate lunch together at Chili's.  (yum!)  After eating lunch, we went to her place and she showed us around - she has a ton of neat projects going on in a huge condo!  She invited us to crafting classes - she teaches a lot of different things.  One of the projects she teaches is quilting - which I decided immediately I was going to take. 

I have always loved quilting, but my hubby will tell you I started and over a 5 year period, nearly finished a quilt 20 years ago, but I dropped the ball on it.  Well, it is all together, however, I have yet to put the edges on it; but there is a reason.  Not knowing what I was doing, I used a fuzzy blanket for batting and man did it not come out right.  But I didn't know.  Today it is packed away in storage and now that I have the proper directions, I bet I dismantle it (yes, I said that Steve), get the proper batting and reassemble it and finish it!  *gasp!*  Steve would probably be dumbfounded, but I will do it.  Now, that I have had (some) of the proper training, I know all the stinking things I did wrong and why I was so frustrated with it.  I *will* finish it!  You just wait and see, Mr Red.

Anyway, we started our quilting class last week by cutting out all the pieces for one block.  This week we assembled our block, sewed it together and look what I came up with!


By golly, I think I did it!  It is supposed to look like that first square in the middle of the page - called a Carrie Nation (block) for all you quilters out there.  I am proud as a pea about my first real quilt block!  Now I just have to finish it by putting an edge on it and making it into a pillow.  It has healing properties - believe me, it healed my sour attitude quite nicely today.

My goal is to get to do Quilts For Kids very, very soon.  You can see some finished ones HERE.  Aren't they great?


Mandy had asked me to take a picture of elephant ears in front of her house - she wants to paint them.  Wow, after seeing them, I saw why she wanted a picture of them!


Look at that leaf on the right - doesn't it look fake?  Yes, I know the lighting is way too bright; but by the time I remembered it was high noon.  I will take some better pictures next week when I go to finish my quilt block.


And finally, I haven't mentioned this, but Dallas, my hubby's boss quit *gulp*and moved back to the states.  Anyway, Kimberly, a mutual friend (the one that ate leftovers with me) was at his place for the moving company to pack and load his stuff to ship back.  The movers had told Kimberly they could haul his sectional down in the lift (elevator) just fine - they had measured and assured her it would fit. I told Kim it was not likely they could do that because I was there for the move in and it didn't fit then - and I was pretty darned sure it didn't shrink that much in two years.  Remember THIS?

Well, lo and behold they tried every which way and eventually had to carry both pieces down 17 flights of stairs.  I arrived back from my quilting class just in time to see the last few pieces loaded.  That table on the right looks well packed and secured, right?


Do you really think those legs are going to be there when it gets across to the other side of the world?


Not to worry, they folded an empty box and shoved it in between the legs to keep the table from moving:


You did catch that, right?  EMPTY box... they even had to smash it to get it to fit  :-(


Well, I guess it was ok, because they had a crate to put behind it:



Once in place it even had... oh about 4 feet of space above it and 3 feet on the side of it behind the table, let's just say the table had plenty of 'breathing' room:


I was pretty sure it could roll around in that box quite nicely.


But not to worry, the mattress will hold it in there:


 Please kindly note the guy in black on the left - he is getting ready to quickly swing the door to them...


So they can jam it closed before the mattress falls out:
 


And it takes 3 of them to hold the mattress in so the door doesn't pop open while one man to jumps on the handle with every bit of his being to get it closed:


I know they were just properly smashing the mattress so it is packed tight enough to hold the table in place - the table that has 3 feet of empty space between it and the mattress with a couple of smashed, empty boxes to secure it.  Yeah, guys, I think that will work.


I will kindly watch to see if the doors pop open:
 

Kinda like a jack-in-the-box:  ♪ ♫ out pops the furniture! ♫ ♪

I have my camera ready!

Oh, and God help the people on the other end that open it.
♫ ♪ And it all came tumbling down... ♪ ♫ 


Enough fun for today.  I am going to join the American Women's Association tomorrow so I can have more fun.  You going?


One last thing, my hubby made it to the flip side and our grand 'baby' met him with her mom.

The title of this pic on our daughter's facebook page was...  "Reunited!":


How sweet!

4 comments:

Leone Fabre said...

love you blog posts ..... always enjoy them, always interesting, most times funny, sometimes not so ...

but hey ... these posts are done by Euvah .... expect the unexpected!!

Love it that you had a good pal top be with you eating leftovers.

Love it that you got precious evidence of why the legs won't make it all the way to the US.

Love it that you have the guts to even take these photos.

love it that your man is hugging his granddaughter.

and love that you are my friend too. xx

surprisetriplets said...

I sure hope tomorrow goes as well as today did. I still remember getting Grandpa's teeny telephone table from the movers and they had stacked several heavy boxes on it. It had totally collapsed under all the weight and the movers were shocked! Did I say it was teeny tiny?

Have a wonderful day, Sis:) <3

Noelle Reese said...

Is there anything better than leftovers with a friend? YUMMY! Movers always amaze me. They all seem to have a special way of thinking. LOL
Gee, you thing R and DH like eachother much??? LOL

Cajunrose said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.