Friday, August 6, 2010

Silkie Anyone?

Shopping at the grocery store here sometimes makes me do a double take.  When we first got here, it was surreal, now I take it all in stride. Most shopping here is an adventure; today I will chat about shopping for chicken:


The black chicken is common here and called a silkie.  Quite startled, I posted about it several years ago.  Well,  now I know a bit more - it is served to ill people - not to make them ill, but to make them better.  A lot of Chinese or Singaporeans make chicken soup - silkie soup - black chicken soup if one is ill.  Yum.  It is said to have healing qualities and rich in antioxidants.  You can read a bit more about the Silkie HERE or HERE


We can get any color or size of egg we choose:


Even black eggs:


Sometimes white eggs are difficult to find - however, we do find the 'farm (brown) eggs' easily.


And of course the chicken's feet are popular:


I will never forget the butcher I found after THIS mistake.  He chopped my next bird up, tossed it all in a bag and then shoved the feet in my face assuring me he was 'giving' me the feet.  I told him I didn't WANT the feet thankyouverymuch - and he reassured me that they were "vewy good-lah" cook "crunchy-la".  Yeah, that made me feel better.  I asked him if he wanted them and you would have thought I had given him a brazillion dollars!

It is always nice to watch the butcher here:


No fancy slicers or sanitary counters to worry about.


If I buy the chicken at a grocery store instead of a wet market, I get the 'kill' date:


Makes me feel better to know he was clucking yesterday and my food today  :-(


And if I would rather not deal with a live chicken, I can always get this:


I will have to look for that in black on my next trip to the store...


Or maybe I should just eat the fish:




Or not.


4 comments:

Noelle Reese said...

Can I send you some sort of diet meals? I'm thinking they have to be better. Come home. I can't take this much longer LOL Come to Denver I will feed you so much stuff that I did not buy dead at the market LOL EB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you making it?

Elizabeth said...

That is crazy and there is no way I could eat black chicken! Yucko! I love you and I hope you get to come home soon!

cajunsis said...

No, N, it is not as bad as it seems - just fun to blog about. I am doing ok - haven't shrunk down to nothin' yet, but thanks.

Michelle Beney said...

This is hilarious! You can always call me to chat!

Love it,
Michelle