Friday, August 27, 2010

SIN

This Is not what you think, I know it looks like sin, but it is not.  SIN is what I see when we are booking our flights back to Singapore.  SIN is the acronym for Singapore on our luggage - but how fitting to be the acronym for a city/country known for nearly everything being a sin.  Singapore is known as the "fine city" - a city where anything you do might be sin and you can be fined for quite a lot of things.  It does make it a very safe city though.

But that is not what I am here to talk about.  Today, listening to the radio in the taxi, the traffic watch announcer made this note:  "Traffic is jammed on the PIE near the AYE and traffic is very heavy all the way from the PIE to the CTE.  Please avoid lane 4 on the ECP as there is an accident near the CTE.  Traffic is running smoothly on the SLE and the TPE all the way to the BKE."  Now I am sure I have messed something up in that translation, but you get the general idea.  Everything in Singapore is an acronym.  All the freeways are known by acronyms. 

Freeways are not the only things known by acronyms.  Your child may go to school at the:
SAS (Singapore American School)
RGS (Raffle's Girls' School)
FSS (French Singapore School)
AISS (glad they added the I to the Australian International School Singapore)
SCGS (Singapore Chinese Girls' School) 
TCHS (The Chinese High School)

... or one of the many other schools in Singapore - but you must know the acronym for that school, or no one knows which school you are talking about.  The school may be in AMK (Ang Mo Kio) or WDL (Woodlands) or maybe TPE (Tampines TAM-PAN-eze) or one of the other many acronyms in Singapore's outer lying areas.

The URA (Urban Redevelopment Authority) has set up a nice ride called the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) to help you go to MOM (Ministry of Manpower) for your SGC (Singapore Green Card) which has your NRIC/FIN (National Registration Identity Card/Foreign Identification Number) to identify you in the NCS (National Computer System).

If you so desire you may ride TIBS (Trans Island Bus Services) which will drop you off at the SAM (Singapore Art Museum) or is it the SBS (Singapore Bus Service) - and can you please tell us which one takes you to the AWA (American Women's Association)?  You should really just call the STA (Singapore Transit Authority) where I am sure they can help you out because I surely cannot.   Maybe you prefer to fly SIA (Singapore Airlines) to the USA (United States of America) or do you have your QDL (Qualified Driving License) so you can drive to KL (Kuala Lumpur)  or JH (Johor) in MY (Malaysia)?

We just celebrated the ND (National Day) with the NDP (National Day Parade) which many people came out of their HDB (Housing Development Board) homes to celebrate.  Some traveled on roads using the ERP (Electronic Road Pricing) in cars to the CBD (Central Business District) for the festivities.  They are proud to have a COE (Certificate of Entitlement) from the LTA (Land Transit Authority) which makes them O$P$ (Owe Money Pay Money) but they are proud owners of a CAR (Automobile).

I hope this made you CAG (chuckle and grin), for we live in the city of SIN (Singapore).  I wish I could tell you IAG (It's All Good), but it STBM (Sucks to be Me) because I CRS (Can't Remember Sh*!) much less the acronym to tell you WIN (What I Need).

B4N (Bye For Now), I am outta here UC (You See) because the acronyms here DMC (Drive Me Crazy) IFKWIM (If You Know What I  Mean).  BSF (But Seriously Folks) IDGI (I Don't Get It), WDWN (Why Do We Need) to say MOM (Ministry of Manpower), MOD (Ministry of Defence), MOE (Ministry of Education), and MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) instead of the real words?  They are NTL (Not That Long) or RWRTLZ (Are We Really That Lazy)?

Off to CMC (Camden Medical Center) for the results of my CBC (Complete Blood Count) so please PFM (Pray For Me) or TPTP (Think Positive Thoughts Please).  SYS (See You Soon), IDTT (I'll Drink To That), LG (Later Gator), I'm GFN (Gone For Now), but NTW (Not To Worry),  I will BBS (Be Back Soon).

5 comments:

Noelle Reese said...

Well I go to DIA [Denver International Airport] to fly to SIN I can take the RTD [Regional Transportation District] to get there. The road to the old airport was MLK [Martin Luther King] and then one to the new is MPB Mayer Pena Blvd. All while Morgan is at PMS [Powell Middle School] LMAO AND at registration I have to write 4 or 5 checks and each volunteer tells me you can make that out to PMS and I giggle every. single. time LOL
I have to google what the bus stood for I'm just sayin'! LOL
LN

Cajunrose said...

Oy, my brain hurts.

applesofgold said...

ROFL that was a fun trip.

Jennifer said...

HILARIOUS! And so true!!

Leone Fabre said...

ha ha ha ... so funny..... you do have a great SOH ....

YP reminded me of a similar one I did a while back on the LRT the MRT etc:

http://leonefabre.blogspot.com/2010/06/singapore-its-all-about-lrt-mrt-smrt.html

what's worse is that we all start to "talk shorthand" be it via email / tweets / FB / SMS or blogs!!

won't be long and we will need the dictionary to remember how to spell a word that we may need to write in FULL... L0L...