Friday, December 11, 2009

Boat Quay, Clark Quay and The Singapore Merlion

Singapore is not at a loss for things to take pictures of so my photography skills improve probably because I take so many stinking pictures!  Thursday we started out at Funan (no I didn't buy anything Leone ;-) and walked around downtown - I guess that is where you call it...  Anyway, there are some beautiful sights and buildings out there so we just went about our merry way snapping shots of the area.  

We started with the Central Fire Station across from Funan.  It is where Mr Tan used to work until he retired in October.  It is a beautiful building all by itself and I can finally take a picture of the entire thing - thanks to my Tokina lens:


Next we passed the Hill Street Building, housing the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA). This former Police Station building has 911 rainbow-coloured windows! Don’t believe it? Count them! These multi-hued windows reflect Singapore’s multi-ethnic, multi-cultural heritage. The building’s former main courtyard has been converted into an ARTrium, for – you guessed it – art activities including exhibitions and performances. 

When it was constructed in 1934 to house the island’s police force, the six story Hill Street Building was actually considered a Sky-Scraper!  We can laugh at that thought today considering today's sky scrapers in Singapore.  I love this building - it is such an interesting sight:




Next we crossed the river to Clarke Quay, named after Sir Andrew Clarke, second Governor to Singapore. Once a major loading, unloading and redistribution point for cargo, this popular riverside village today thrives with commercial activity of a different nature.  





Clarke Quay is a colourful kaleidoscope of buildings housing antiques, old-world curios, gifts and knick-knacks, restaurants, casual eateries, hip cafes, jazz clubs, blues pubs and more.  All have breathed new life into the restored buildings, warehouses and shop houses.  

The colors and sights in Clarke Quay are breath taking:







The bumboats are a quick way for tourist to get around:



They commute from one end of the Quays to the other, going by the Merlion and Esplanade buildings and all the sights around the area.  They are a constant sight on the river and I am sure a great source of income for those who run it.  The bumboats are very busy night and day alike.

Raelee has hung in like a trooper.  For a 6 year old, she has done amazingly well.  Some days she hangs back just a bit (I think she wants her quiet time) but she keeps plugging along like the a super trooper.  I am so proud of her!  I can't imagine how tired she is because I *know* how tired Steph and I are:


She has gotten awfully tired of taking pictures though (imagine that!) but Steph figured out how to get her to take them with a smile. One, Two...


THREE!


Great idea mom!

Across the bridge is Boat Quay, just an extension of Clarke Quay with a quieter area to dine on the river.  Located on the southern bank of the upstream portion of the Singapore River, Boat Quay is a place of historical importance that dates back to the 1860s as well. Though Boat Quay no longer plays any role in the aquatic trade, its buildings have been carefully preserved and it houses many restaurants, bars and pubs and is quite a site on the river as well:





There is a huge amount of restaurants to choose from between Clarke Quay and Boat Quay.  However, we have realized that Raelee is not much into the foods here either:


Don't worry, she has not gone hungry - she has carrots, apples and cheerios - enough to get her back home to 'safe' foods  ;-)  We giggle at the girls lack of bravery trying foods here.

Finally she found a bit more solitude:


She looks so peaceful here - we let her just sit and contemplate life a bit.  She barely moved for 5 minutes.

After a bit of rest, she got up and had a little fun:


This is a series of statues of boys jumping into the river - and they are butt naked.

Raelee wanted her picture taken with this one holding his hand:


And then she got busy taking her own pictures with her camera - God knows what THOSE show!

Next we took pictures of the Fullerton Hotel:


The Anderson Bridge:


City Hall


The Esplanade (or better known here as the durian) buildings:


There are two of them, but only one shows above.

This is what they like together:


And finally we made it to the Merlion   :-)




And finally we were...

One...
Two...
Three! 


DONE!

That's all folks!  I am trying my best to keep up - but honestly I am getting fatigued trying to keep up with our adventures, the laundry, house cleaning and meals.  My side also hurts like garbage and I don't rest well at night, but I promise I will get back on track soon.  

Thanks for stopping by  :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The picture of Raelee sitting by the water for 5 minutes is beautiful......I would enlarge it and frame it....I love it......(I have one of Harleigh sitting by the dock on Front St. that's kinda like Raelee's)....I can't believe how much Raelee has grown up since I last saw her...she is beautiful

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

Wefeeruresk