Monday, November 10, 2008

Singapore Central Fire Station

My mom used to love history and could not understand why I didn't. Looking back, I think my life was too much in shambles to worry about where others were or where they had come from. I was existing on an hour to hour basis, and history was of no concern to me - it was a part of looking back. I always focused on looking forward. Memories of looking back scared the bajeebers out of me, so I chose only to forward. Guns, cannons, hate and crime were not what I wanted to hear about. I have come a long way since then - I have come to appreciate history - mine, the history of America and even the history of Singapore.

This is the Central Fire Station in Singapore - the oldest fire station in Singapore. Although the Singapore Fire Service was integrated with the "Singapore Civil Defence Force" in 1989 and is no longer an independent entity, the Central Fire Station remains in use today.



The Civil Defense Heritage Gallery housed in Central Fire Station showcases the history of Firefighting in Singapore, and reveals the developments of Civil defense in Singapore from the 19th century till today.

We were pleasantly surprised to learn there is a museum inside the fire station. Visitors to the heritage gallery can learn about the civil defense’s progression in Singapore through the years, with displays of antique fire engines and other firefighting equipment.


There are customized interactive stations for a close-up experience of what fire fighters and rescuers go through during a mission. There are also tours up the hose tower of the Central Fire Station, which was Singapore's highest point during the 1920s.

There is a display of fireman’s helmets, even those used today. They are a far cry from what our firemen use in the states – though I am not an expert by any means.


While we were there, the museum attendant, Mr Tan, a (Thai Chinese?) descendent (he was sure to tell us that, so I think it is important to him – however, I must go back and get straight on his heritage) was a great pleasure to visit with. Before we struck up a conversation, I was looking for Steve and he noticed. I said, I cannot find my husband. He immediately said "husband is upstairs-ah" – then pointed to a screen where I could see Steve browsing upstairs. You could see the twinkle in Mr Tan's eye. I asked where the steps were and he told me they were at the back of the museum for most people – but I could take the ‘exit’ stairs. My brows lifted and he said "your husband-ah coming down the stairs now-ah"… lol… stinker!

After our chat, he pulled out a pamphlet, The Story of Fireman 251, and opened it. That is when he told us his heritage – as he was signing the inside cover. When he was finished he showed us a picture on the inside of the cover; he was the fireman in the middle and the picture was taken right after he graduated high school – he will be retiring next year after working there 38 years. He started in 1971 and will retire during the 100 year celebration of The Central Fire Station. You should stop in there some time if you are in Singapore. It is a very wonderful place.

He asked where we were from, and after we told him, he took us to the patch wall and pointed out a patch from the Fire Department of New York City. He solemnly told us of a fireman’s parents that brought him a patch and a FDNY cap and shared the story of their son. He had just gotten off work, walked out of the fire station, looked up, saw the first plane hit the towers. He reversed his tracks, suited up and was one of the first fire fighters in the tower. He never made it out.


Even in Singapore, the 9-11 disaster touched hearts.

Mr Tan, you were a pleasure to chat with. Thank you so very much for your hospitality.


My mom would be proud of me - even a far distant land’s fire stations’ history intrigues me now.


No comments: