Friday, October 3, 2008

Another Move Today...

Pictures added to the blog now :-)

I am the stay at home housewife, you know the one that has all the time on her hands and can do anything anyone needs done?

Well, honestly, I can. I have no kids with me as they are all grown. I have a hubby that works all day, and once a week I get together with friends. I have never been a shopper until I came here - now it seems like all I end up doing is shopping. I really DO have a lot of time on my hands. But back to the original statement...

Dallas' container was supposed to come in a few days ago but it didn't make it. They rescheduled it in today - but he had meetings scheduled today. I had nothing scheduled, so when he came and (yes, very politely) asked me if I could stay there while the movers came I said, "Of course!" Today was the day I went for the move.




Dallas does not have a ton of stuff - he is a bachelor. BUT, he had a sectional and a king size mattress. The guys came in and said the sectional and mattress would not fit on the lift (elevator). I asked them what they could do, and they said "carry them up the stairs is the only thing". I called Dallas, he conferred with them - and they set about carrying the sectional up the stairs. I am assuming they did the mattress as well.


Please take a moment to appreciate the size - see the elevator?

They carried this up SEVENTEEN floors!


Here they are after the big move... rofl...

I am supposed to tell you here, that the guy on the stairs above is single, available and I have his phone number - haha. The number is in the mover's logo on the moving paperwork. He's not my type - but he is surely strong!

Yes, they were still breathing. I would not have been after 17 floors of carrying the sectional up... lol... and they only rested 10 minutes before tackling the rest of the work - they had another move to do after this one :-(

I was so tired for them! It was sometime during the trip up I am sure, they began referring to the sectional as 'the beast'.... rofl... They got it up the stairs, it fit in the flat, and thank God this day is over - for them - and for me.

For whatever reason, I feel the need to have things perfect when I do something. It is an old rule of mine - leave something better then when you came in. He had no furniture and lots of dust. Now he had lots of furniture and lots of dust...

After the unpacking, things were not properly put up. It is a guy thing; groceries, pans, plates and cleaning supplies randomly tossed in cabinets. They tried, but there was just too much stuff for a tiny kitchen. After the crew left (they were awesome by the way) I got busy trying to organize the kitchen.

Then I gathered all the warranty information in one place, made the bed, swept, mopped. Then I put 4 placemats on the table and added a candle. Then I propped a picture up of his nephews - and left a piece of banana nut bread on a plate with a note that said "welcome 'home'" - just like I did for the first crew of guys.

I also left him a memory card so he has a memory of what we went through ;-) haha... Not really, just a card so he could see the sectional's sheer size next to the little itsy bitsy Malays that toted those huge pieces up 17 flights of stairs.


Here is the 'beast' in place :-)

I must say it is beautiful :-)

This is the funny part: before the movers came, Dallas had money on the window sill. I have no idea how much, but not willing to take chances, I tossed it in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator and forgot about it. I put little sticky notes all over the place telling the movers where everything went; tv, sofa, bed, table, pots and pans, glasses... you get the idea. LOTS of little sticky notes. The guys LOVED the fact that once they came in and read the number off, they knew exactly where to put it.

I forgot to remove them before I mopped, then I forgot to go back after the floors dried to remove them. He found the notes - and the money... rofl... now WHO would find money in a bowl in the refrigerator?

Oh, wait... thinking this through... He reached for the one thing that was in there - beer - and found a bowl :-)

NOW I understand ;-)

Anyway, another day down; and yes, even though I am tired, I feel accomplished. I do enjoy doing things for others and I think those guys occasionally need pampered a bit. They all are away from their families for months on end - and Steve is the only one that has ANY of our family - me. I am so thankful for that - and even thankful for a project to do. It is nice to have my time occupied - especially when I feel like I am making progress.

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

That is nuts that they had to carry that stuff up that far!

I wouldn't expect anything less of you to fix his place up for him. Makes me miss you even more :(