Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Weather; Then and Now

I am seldom concerned with the weather here.  In fact, I enjoy our 4 seasons.  This year, though, I am worried about the weather. 

43 years ago, Steve and I had just married.  We were living on our own in an apartment in Okmulgee.  He was in college full time and working full time.  It was winter 1978; January specifically.  He was working near Sapulpa, about 45 miles away from where we lived.  We only had a motorcycle, a Honda 750, and it was all he had to drive to and from work, to pay bills and to grocery shop.  

He had gone to school one morning and from there he went on to work.  I was terribly worried about him, we were in the middle of an ice storm and then it started snowing - but there was so much ice.  When I finally heard the bike pull up late at night, I raced out to him.  

He was literally froze to the bike!  I had to help with the kickstand, pry his hands off of the grips and then help him get upstairs.  I have never been so scared for someone in all my life!  His beard had long ice cycles, his hands frozen like he was still holding the grips, and he cold barely talk.  When we got upstairs, I started running him bath water so he could warm up.  He told me to run straight hot water.  I was terrified he would scald himself.  He had no feeling at all.  He recently told me he had never been so cold in all his life.  Once he was warmed up, he was proud not to have frostbite.  I have no idea how we lucked out, but he made it through that awful winter.  There is no end to the depth of love I have for this man.

This winter?  They just said the last winter we had like we have looking ahead of us was in January 1978!  My heart dropped.  We are looking at 10-12 days below freezing!  

Both of our kids and their families live here.  Raelee is specifically who I worry about. Aedan isn’t driving yet.  But Raelee drives 18 miles to work and 18 miles home - across multiple bridges.  She does not miss work, in fact, she is full time and takes up shifts others drop.  She is extremely dependable - and has a good head on her shoulders.  But this ice is enough to frighten any experienced driver!

Last night it was icy, and of course I was worried about her.  We know what days she is off.  She is a creature of habit, so they pretty much stay the same.  Knowing she was at work or getting off, I messaged Steph and she immediately sent this to me.


Punkin was doing 37 mph on a major 65mph highway.  No one was going 65 though.  Go girl!  

Thank God for that ‘creepy mom’ ap.  😂  Steph watched her get all the way home, let us in know that she was home safe and we all took a deep, thankful breath. 

43 years is a lot of water under the bridge, and some things you just never forget.  Steve’s dedication to us has never faltered.  There hasn’t ever been anything he couldn’t figure out or wouldn’t do.  I have no idea how we made it through some of the roughest times of our lives, but I am so thankful Steve chose me and that we have made it, but the best part is, we still like each other and our love for one another is enourmous.

This year we have families, kids and cattle and it is freaking bitter cold out there!


Keep us in your prayers.  We do have 2 snow days... tomorrow 2” is predicted, Sat 2”- 4”.  But lots of ice is in the forecast as well.

And this year, we have a nice warm home, a 4-wheel drive, a diesel truck, a fifth wheel and a PARKED Harley.  


No comments: