Friday, March 20, 2020

Thought...

Since 2013 I have had to be extra cautious who I was around, if their sniffle was really a was “an allergy” as they claimed, and run from sneezes.  I have had to cancel get-togethers with friends, stop going to churchgoers, and basically hibernate during flu season and duck others with common colds.  

I can’t eat fresh raw veggies outside our home comfortably, no deli meats out, and absolutely no buffets.  

Can you see we are narrowing the choices here... l  All restaurants are you “iffy” and an absolute “no!” if there is any question about it.  

Who cooked that covered dish and what are their home manners like? 

Have you ever seen the inside of an ice machine?  Wanted a lemon for your water or tea?  Who’s been touching those salt/pepper shakers?  Did a child just lick the top of the salt shaker again?  Did you see the mom wipe it off and set it back to be used?  And the ketchup bottle, have you taken a look at it lately??  

Door knobs - who touched it and what were they holding before touching it?  Light switches, gosh, have you seen how dirty they are?  Were your hands really on the back and seat of that chair?  Who sat there before you?  Is your silverware clean enough?  Yes, I do wash all my veggies and fruit with SOAP, and rinse well - because I have no idea who handled them before me or if they sneezed on them.  Did little Johnny pick his nose (or worse?) before picking up that banana that he begged his mom for?  By the way, she said no and he returned it!  Do you really think water will kill those germs?

Let’s not even talk about the bathrooms... 🤢

Now that we have Covid-19 out and about, I just wanna ask the world if they see me through a different light now?  I have been doing this for years, and other Primary Immunodeficiency (PI) patients even much longer.

How does it feel to be us?

This IS our ‘normal’.  You will be back to your normal sooner or later.  PI patients will never be ‘your’ normal.  Just letting the world know - this is our every, single day.  This is not Covid-19 times for us; this is our daily life reality and you joining in.  

Sure the restaurant’s are closed and life is different, but for me, my daily life is very different because I have to think through the risks vs the enjoyments.

I don’t wish this on anyone, but a better understanding of Primary Immunodeficiencies will surely be an eye opener for others.

In the meantime, I’m gonna keep on swimmin’ In this deep blue sea that I have been living in since 2013. 

Take another look at that salt shaker!



No comments: