Thursday, September 4, 2008

Our Appliances - and Ramblings from Afar

YaY! We might have salvaged Pam and Larry's marriage. I just know we will find another treasure soon and someone will send it COD to Larry. I know he is willing to pay a bajillion dollars for the ancient artifact - if we can just find it. He does not know scrapals and my friends - we will do our best. Pssst! Larry, it is not a Coke bottle, they are clear, this is white - like ceramic. I just thought you should know you might have been had. I helped reassemble it and I can testify in ancient Egypt that you might have been taken to the cleaners on this. I hope I am not breaking your heart.

Today was an easy day, cleaning, doing laundry and general straightening up. I have a horrible headache and we had several misdialed numbers last night, so I think I am overdone and tired. Cleaning let me get the blood pumping which I thought would help, but it seems to have made my headache worse. So much for that. Our apartment is clean and tidy though and the marble is shining again. Have I ever said I am not sure marble for floors is such a good idea?

I don't have much to blog about, but I did forget to say yesterday was my first ride in the MRT - Mass Regional Transit System - better known as our subway! Thanks to Pam and Sarah, we went from one place to another, and made a couple exchanges - is that what you call them? It was great having someone to help me through the system. I am not confident enough to do it yet on my own, but with more practice with them, I will be able to manuever it soon.

The nearest MRT stop is a good ways from us - we live in a largely undeveloped area (yay) - I am not complaining. Very few taxi drivers know where we even live - and they know every place on the island nearly - yep, except ours. However with a few street names we get them there. Anyway, because it is not densly populated, there is not an MRT stop nearby. There is, however, a bus stop nearby, and as soon as I figure out the logistics, I can take a bus to an MRT and go around the island. One step at a time... lol...

Oh! And I did buy some pretty pillow covers in Little India - thought you might like to see them Steph:
Pam and Sarah clapped - they are not convinced in my shopping abilities. Neither am I - one had the zipper broken - too bad I didn't find that out until AFTER I got home. Lessons learned - I just sewed it shut - for life.

I have made note of this before, but I want to again bring up just how small our appliances are. Asians are small in stature. A 5 foot tall refrigerator is a tall one to them I think. However, I think even mine would be small for them to use. Today I decided to take pictures of the appliances I have. Looking initially, they may look normal.
Here is our refrigerator:Now please look closer and compare this refrigerator to the coffee pot in the background, and the 8x10 paper plastered to the front of it. It is roughly 4 times as tall as the coffee pot - okay, I am exaggerating, but it is small. That picture is very proudly displayed from Raelee. She is the only grandchild *HINT* we have recieved any mail from - and it was to papa.

When I open the door on the freezer:Steve took out a shelf on the door of the freezer because we use a lot of ice. Ok, I admit it - I use a lot of ice. That is 5 ice trays and 2 small packages of meat and 2 packs of veggies. FULL.


Now the fridge:
Yes, it is messy, but I can't fit anything in to it anyway - so it is not horrible. It is two cans deep and the veggie drawer is half of the space.

You know how big those jars are from the states (thank you sooo much Dallas for the Miracle Whip!), but take a real good look. That is not a dozen eggs, it is 8. Those are not the large bottles of anything - they are the small ones. (Where did that Coffee Mate come from Steve - and why is it wasting space in our fridge?) Anyway, don't you agree they are tiny?

The washer and dryers are another challenge. 2 pair of jeans and that is it. I must do laundry every single day. See the bottle of Clorox 2? I knew you could compare to that. It got stuck in the door :-(

Now compare it to the little iris cart and you will get a better understanding or our problems. These are for doll clothes right?

Here is the Clorox 2 in the dryer door. You can even use the non-alcoholic beer cans to compare the size of it. No those are not Steve's, they are Mick's back-up stash.

It is just a bit bigger than the washer, however, check it out in relation to the dryer vent hose... lol...


Oh, and yes our dryer IS outside on the 10th floor.

So all of this to say, I don't have to cook because I have no room for food, and I don't want to to do laundry every single day - so I need a cleaning lady who will do laundry and clean while she has to wait on the washer (each SHORT load takes 1.5 hours) and dryer (another 1.5 hours) to do its job. 3 hours a day cleaning and a load of laundry and I will be a happy camper. She can cook on the days she has to do two loads of laundry, which is every other day, right? Pam and Sarah can continue to train me in shopping, MRT and bus techniques while the maid does the rest.

Do you girls agree?

1 comment:

surprisetriplets said...

I've never seen such tiny appliances! I'd be doing laundry every hour of every day with my crew busily dirtying several sets of clothes a day! How big is your apartment?