Friday, September 12, 2008

The Chinese Garden - Night Visit

Last night Steve and I decided (apparently with many others) to beat the crowds and go the the Chinese Gardens at night to see the lanterns lit. Oh wow! I was not disappointed tonight :-)

We got free lanterns (which we did not open) and browsed around. I took a lot of pictures - but my abilities sure do severely lack. I am totally clueless, so I call the ones that do come out "Dumb Luck Photography".
Anyway, some did come out and I was super pleased that ANY came out, so I am going to share them. I really need to figure this out... it is very frustrating to say the least.
There is something odd about Singapore that Steve and I have both noticed. When it is light - it is light, but when darkness comes on, it is nearly instant. No soft, slow sunsets here. Day. Night. rofl...


The buildings were lit and beautiful:


The Hello Kitty decorations were lit up - and they look much prettier at night:


There were games people play that looked super fun - but a little young for our tastes. We did however have fun watching the action:
Yes, those are children in the balls on water! It was fun to watch them try to stand up - one girl did - - but for just a second!

Kids were racing...

...MOMS! And... well they were racing and other kids as well, but moms? lol...

There is amazing talent here in Singapore :-)
There was beautiful sugar art:


And a man weaving palm leaves:
My gosh what a beautiful job he did!


And there was a man painting on the inside of beads! Of course, this is one of the pictures that did not come out - but he did a wonderful job. It is definitely a talent. Painting a name inside that itsy, bitsy hole in the bead - perfectly!

There was a dragon dance:

And there was a statue (among many others) of a mom tatooing her son with 4 tatoo's before he went off to war. They were seemingly watching the Chinese Lantern Festival off in the distance.
"Just Another Day In Paradise" as Mick says... it is a joke with us now. But it was a great evening - and again, we went home bushed.

However, I have to say; We will go back when there is not a festival going on so we can see the true tranquility we can only imagine a Chinese Garden to have. Steve would love to see the Bonsai Tree Garden, and I really NEED to get a picture of the one that is 300 years old.

I really have to figure out this camera business. Unfortunately, I am a "show me" person and reading just turns into jibberish during translation. I must work on this translation technique... lol...


2 comments:

surprisetriplets said...

What gorgeous pictures! I still haven't gotten the knack for nighttime pictures either. The first person to figure it out needs to talk the other one through it...

I'm glad you and Steve get to spend some time exploring Singapore together. Have him take some pictures of you! We love you!

BLJ Graves Studio said...

What beautiful photos! I am glad to see you are enjoying the local culture. :-)

Miss you
Lisa