Monday, March 7, 2022

Jewelry Boxes

Raelee and I went to a garage sale last summer and there were two old jewelry boxes on the table.  I peeked in them and sure enough there was jewelry.  Lots of jewelry!  I asked how much for the boxes and he said $60.  I asked him if he realized there was a class ring in one and he said, “I don’t give a shit what is in them - it was my ex’s and I don’t want anything to do with any of it!”  He was standing next to his lady who was just as nice hateful as he was and she agreed it needs to go!  

So I said, “Well, I won’t give $60 for them, but I will give you $40 for them.”  He agreed and off we went.  I figured we would go through them, find little of interest, try to find the class ring owner and sell it all if we couldn’t.  Laughing, Raelee and I agreed to split the profits.

In the jewelry boxes were name tags for places she had worked and bank membership cards - but the bank was no longer in the area.  There were pictures there and a half dozen or so of one girl, so I assumed it was probably her.  I tried to find the owner several times - even reaching out to the school alumni with little response other than they would “see if they could find that person.”  Never heard another thing.  Occasionally, I would stumble across the jewelry boxes and try again.  

Last week, I once again put her picture in a local social media group for her city.  Lo and behold, someone tagged someone and I get a PM “Who are you, what do you have of my daughters, and why do you have it?”  Momma bear claws.

I explained the situation and how I got them, she asked many questions and finally realized I was legit. When I said it had employee name tags she said, “For Target?” And it was then, I knew we had found its owner’s mom.

Long story shorter, mom picked it up, reimbursing me the $40 that I paid and she and her daughter, Missi, have thanked me profusely.  Last night, one more message came through that mom had gone through the jewelry box and there were many family heirlooms in it - not just the class ring.  


I could have never sold it and would have tried until my dying day to find their owners.  There were too many memories tucked in those boxes.  I was blessed to find its owner.  The smiles and words we have exchanged since?  Well, I am glad these boxes will soon be home.

Oh, the things we considered precious when we were young and the things we didn’t think we’re important until they became a memory… they do matter.
 

No comments: