Monday, August 11, 2008

Reality Check in Progress...

Standing in line to go to Tokyo, I look around me and notice several things. 1. I am the only non-asian looking person getting on this plane. 2. I am the only English speaking person getting on this plane and 3. It says the plane is going to Tokyo Japan. Can this be real? I pinch myself again - OUCH!


After a super long flight through the US, over Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, Alaska, over the Bering Sea, part of Russia and finally into Tokyo Japan. I peeked out the window as often as possible, but the people around me gave me the evil eye, so for the most part, I just watched the screen and saw where we were headed. I could not stop myself in Canada and Alaska though - and there were huge mountains and LOTS of snow. I even got to see an avalanche from above - though it looked like it ws in the middle of no where in the Yukon. I was not sure what it was at first, but realized it after watching close. I thought it was a storm at first, then I saw the whole side of the 'mountain' collapse - leaving the real mountain.

Arriving in Tokyo was an experience. I began to realize just how different this was going to be. The food on the plane was horrible - all overcooked and oatmeal consistency rice. EWWE! There were FISH on my cucumbers on my salad. Yeah, I did not eat that. No picture - mean evil eyes again. We have a snipy stewardess too - so I was not ruffling any feathers. I didn't eat. In Japan, after finding my gate, I found a food place. Nice pictures. Have no idea what it said next to them, but the standard VISA emblem was no where to be seen. I wandered around some more. I am not one that likes to appear stupid, so I try to figure out the whole thing on my own. 

This is what I saw:


And finally the food: I had the best Ramen I have ever had. Real Ramen and yes they took VISA, I finally got hungry enough to show them the card and they nod!



Was my plane on time?


The nice soldier with the BIG gun at the check in point pulls me aside and say, "Why you go to Singapore?" "My husband works there" "How long husband works there?" "30 days", I say (I was told to say that because I have not yet gotten a green card). He looked carefully at my paperwork and passport and I shake. He says "You go!" I guess I answered his questions right. WHEW!

Yeah, this is a reality check. I was here and I have to learn to adapt. God has me in training.
The last flight in to Singapore is a blur. The stewardess woke me twice and made me drink water, "You DRINK!". Yes mam. I go unconcious again. Another stewardess wakes me. "You MUST DRINK!" I drink. I slip back into dream world. Finally they wake me and say "you must fill out customs form NOW!" What the heck? I fill out customs form and start to panic. Yes, I am really going to Singapore.

As Steve says, customs was a breeze - a hot one - but easy. They had already searched my baggage. I have little papers snuggled in every nook and cranny to prove it. Ugh. No privacy laws here I guess... lol...

I am 'home' on the other side of the world. I miss you all and please don't forget me. I speaka no asian.

Yet.


6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well, I am glad they were at least worried about you on the second flight! I love you and miss you.

Cajunrose said...

Looks like you had a time...fun or not is yet to be determined when you are not so tired..lol

Glad you made it ok. We all breathed a sigh of relief when you called (including Todd..he has been concerned for you as well)

Love you and have fun :)

Pam said...

Welcome to Singapore! you're gonna do just fine! enjoy your first look at sing sing, and try to stay cool! =)

Rycon Payne said...

Haha, I loved reading your Tokyo experience. I lived that for over a year! Japan is a crazy land of flashy, shiny, colorful vending machines that vend anything from scrambled eggs, to panties. I'm glad you made it safely to singapore :D I can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

Unknown said...

YEA!!! You made it! LOVE the pics! Keep'em coming!

stefani said...

Glad to hear you had a safe trip.