Monday, November 16, 2009

St Andrews Cathedral


Today was my photography shoot with Leone.  We love going out and practicing photography with our cameras - and I love that she has a good 'eye' for pictures.  It is wonderful when we look at the same thing and our cameras focus on different views.  We love sharing and chatting about what we are finding and different settings on the cameras.  We are surely learning a lot.  We were chatting today and decided that Singapore has such and abundance of artwork and architecture we would never have enough time to 'document' it, but it is sure fun trying  :-)  


Today we solely focused on St Andrew's Cathedral.


St Andrew's Cathedral is one of the few examples of English Gothic Revival architecture in Singapore. It was designed by Colonel Ronald MacPherson of the Madras Army and built by convict laborers.  The first services were held in 1862, and in 1870 it was elevated to status of a Catherdral.


This is the second church on the site.  The grounds were reserved for an Anglican church by Stamford Raffles in his 1823 Town Plan.  The first church designed by G D Coleman as completed in 1837.  It was named St Andrews after the patron saint of Scotland in recognition of the generosity of the Scottish community who contributed a large portion of the funds.  The church was struck by lightening twice and fell into disrepair.  by 1852 it was deemed unsafe and demolished to make way for the present building.  During the Japanese invasion (1942-1945) the cathedral was used as a casualty station for the wounded and remained open for worship.


One of the main attractions of the Cathedral is a multicolored stained glass window.  The center panel was dedicated to the memory of Sir Stamford Raffles, founder of Singapore in 1861.


































I tried to take pictures of intricate details today.  After looking at my pictures, I did indeed capture some of them, but I want to go back and get even more.  I bet I will find time to do just that when Steph comes, why it will give me the perfect excuse.  


Speaking of Steph, Raelee and her will be here tomorrow night.  We are ready to get our arms around our girls.  It would be perfect if our guys could come too.  


I can dream, right?


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful, Sis. Thanks for sharing! Love you.

surprisetriplets said...

I really liked the cathedral against the blue sky. I thought it had a big black smudge on it until I realized it was on my computer screen. Note to self: Must clean computer screen. Great pics! Love you lots! From your FAVORITE sister:)

Unknown said...

Love the pictures! You have such a good eye for angles, etc.