Friday, August 15, 2008

Loyang Tua Pek Kong Temple

Now about the temple - it deserves a post all of its own.

Katherina was so kind to take us to the Loyang Tua Pek Kong Temple on our way back across the city to the indoor stadium. This Temple deserves a day view with my good camera, but I did get a few pictures tonight - however, they do not do it justice.


These pictures were taken during a month long celebration of The Hungry Ghosts Festival. It is a Chinese Festival that takes place usually in takes place during the 7th lunar month. 
 


In Singapore, the ghost festival is held on the 15th of the seventh month according to the Chinese calendar as a mark of respect for the souls of the dead. The Taoists Chinese have a belief that during this time, the souls of the dead are freed and roam the earth as the 'Gates of the Hell' are opened. The Chinese people in Singapore celebrate the Hungry Ghosts Festival to seek blessings of the dead and ensure that the spirits does not disturb them.
They burn incense sticks to ward off evil spirits. There are great feasts that are held and food is also offered to the ghosts in the Hungry Ghosts Festival, to appease them. Children are not allowed to run about after sunset during this time.

This particular Temple houses Hindu, Buddhists and Taoist deities and a Muslim kramat (shrine) under one old roof.

How incredible to walk in it! We felt welcome and Katherina embraced us telling us the history surrounding each area. There are no words to describe how wonderful the tour was, and yes cameras are allowed as it is a very 'touristy' place. It is also a very intricate Temple as I am sure you can see in the photos.

Here are a few photos I took:


This is the ceiling in the top of the temple 





And part of the wall - the smoke you see is really there - that is the incense burning. If I had just had my good camera...





The spirals you see hanging are incense pieces burning:



Katherina explaining to Steve that this is the Chinese Year of the Rat:



Another part of the temple:


 


The Hindu draw with rice powder and burn rice as sacrifices for the spirits
 

I found it particularly interesting that Katherina compared our one day of Halloween to their one month festival. She seemed to equate it with warding off spirits. Cultures are so different and unique. We don't look at Halloween the way others do - we dress up and play - that is about the extent of it; we no longer compare it to its origin. 

There were many people burning incense and lavish, intricate papers to ward off the spirits and bring them good luck for the year. The paper is sold according to the quality and uniqueness of it - each is sold for a different purpose. 

Thank you Katherina for giving us an exquisite tour. It was very humbling - and special to both Red and I.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful temple and loved reading about your activities! I love you!

Hikki said...

Hello!

I'm currently a student at the National University of Singapore tasked with a field assignment to explore a religious site in Singapore. The mix of several religions under one roof intrigued me much and this happens to my chosen field site. I am going down to take some pictures (in the day) tomorrow.

The second part of the assignment, however, involves interviewing people with the photos I've taken and I see from your post that Katherine seems really knowledgeable with regard to information about the temple. Just wondering if she is a friend or someone who is part of the temple staff?

Thank you for reading!

cajunsis said...

She is actually a colleague of my husbands... I didn't know her that well, but my hubby did. We are no longer in Singapore, but he may be able to contact her if you would like him to... just let me know!