Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oedo Island, Korea

Oedo Island is a beautiful private island that is off the coast of Koje Island. It is an entire island of massive gardens; a true paradise on earth. It opened to tourist in 1995 and is has become a favorite attraction in Korea. I boasts some of the most exotic plants and art I have ever seen and was wonderful to browse around on. The tour boats only give you an hour and a half on it - not nearly long enough for Steve and I, but we had a wonderful visit on it and enjoyed most it had to offer - even if it was a bit rushed to see.

Here we are waiting on the boat to leave. This is a Korean couple that spoke very little English but wanted a picture with me. How fun :-) They later offered me a piece of dried squid which I politely declined, but they were very friendly.




Our tour guides were probably very informative. We will never know :-(
They spoke Korean.




The boats that took us to Oedo were lined up to drop people off and pick us up. We were given a time to be there and a time to be back. When we came back, our guides counted us as we came on, and before people were seated, they left. We assumed he had the total amount he was supposed to as they did not waste one minute leaving.



The island is very unique. Take a look at the trees just as we step on the island:



From above we can see a beautiful scene below:




In and around the arch, there are Mediterranean style statues:

















They were all amazing. Some were a bit more vivid than others and I chose not to share them - I don't want to embarrass anyone - especially the guys looking ;-) As we continued our walk, we found even more beauty:






It is a beautiful place to visit. Tomorrow I will share the pictures around the island - the natural beauty. Listen today and hear what you saw today and will be seeing tomorrow:



Do you see our problem? That was pretty much the problem the entire time we were in Korea... lol...

There were several groups of people that stood here and did the same thing as Steve is doing. We cannot figure it out, but so many people in Asia love to have their picture taken with an American and they always hold up the peace sign. Here he is all by himself... everyone had left.

We had fun that day :-)




Peace be with you :-)

3 comments:

Oswald Chong said...

I can solve the peace sign "mystery"..... it probably begins in Japan, where young girls put up peace sign to look "cute", and this spreads throughout Asia (thanks to Japanese movies). So everyone in Asia begin to show their peace sign (unconsciously) when they're taking photos. And that includes myself! My wife and myself still cannot quit that habit!

surprisetriplets said...

Beautiful pics as usual. I would tell you that you should have brought an Korean translation book, but I couldn't even hear the words he was saying to look it up!!! Even if you could figure out the words, he was going way too fast to follow along. I can just see you thumbing through a book at a furious pace. Now that would be a funny picture:)

Oswald Chong said...

Chinese is a series of symbols where each symbol represents something, but when you put all the symbols together, it represents another thing or a noun or a verb.

Korean is the pronunciation of the word. So there are only about 1200 "alphabets". And when you put all the pronunciation together, you will then get the word. So a few alphabet represents a Chinese word pronounced in the Korean way (by all the syllabus). So four Korean alphabets will represent a Chinese word or symbol but pronounced between two and four syllabus.

So Chom-bul and Chom-bu, sounds alike, but are very different.... so is he saying Chom-bul or Chom-bu? Go figure one thousand other such words! Yeap I'd like to see the photos too! In fact, I just had a meeting with some Brazilians that day, who spoke in Portugese.... and I had to rely on one student to translate all those Portugese back to me. I had no ideas but just nod my head all the time!