Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 2 in Singapore

Hi Everyone!

I was so tired last night that I forgot to tell you a few things that happened yesterday. While we were hiking at Mt Faber Park, we saw several groups of Boy Scouts. They were part of a huge day camp. Now I know they were Boy Scouts because Aunt eb asked them what kind of scouts they were and they said BOY Scouts! Can you believe they have Boy Scouts in Singapore? Well this is the real story - here are pictures of the BOY Scouts:








Now did you notice anything funny about the BOY Scouts? I keep looking at them and they have Boy Scout Emblems on their shirts... but... Pssst! I think some of them are not BOY Scouts! Do YOU want to tell them? Not me, noooo sirrreee!


I begged and begged to go to Bali - they have huge volcano's in Bali and the Indian Ocean surrounds the island. Finally, Uncle Steve relented - WE ARE GOING TO BALI, INDONESIA this next weekend if the travel agent can make all the arrangements. Here we are trying to get them done. Our travel agent's name is Haina - she was trying her best to make sure everything would be just perfect and that we would have an ocean view. She planned a volcano trip AND a Temple tour - doesn't that sound fun? I will let you know when we get it all worked out, ok?





After our hike and visiting with Haina, Aunt eb wanted to go to eat Mexican Food (are you surprised?), but can you cannot figure out why we are eating Mexican in Asia? It is very far from Mexico. Oh well, I ate the chips and dip. It was yummy! Aunt eb says it is not as good as Ten Taco's, but it will do in an Asian pinch.




Finally, we came home and Uncle Steve made me a bed on the sofa. I was so glad to finally rest. I was tuckered out from all the traveling, climbing stairs, going on mountains, planning the trip and eating so much. When I fell asleep, I was dreaming about all the fun things we would do tomorrow.




When I woke up, we went to McDonald's :-) That is what Aunt eb and Uncle Steve look forward to on Sunday's; one of the few American meals they can eat out - hotcakes and... ok, so the sausage is icky. It is turkey sausage because there are so many Muslims and other people here that do not eat pork - and it just does not have the flavor that pork sausage does. Well, we smothered it in maple syrup and ate it anyway. McDonald's breakfast here tastes just like that at home - except that sausage. Don't ask about any of their other McDonald's menu's - it is just not the same, trust me - I saw it. I will try to get a menu... Man! I wish I had thought of that while we were there - Aunt eb says we will probably not go back there - but I will try go convince her we need a menu, ok?



Here is what the outside of the building looks like - do you see anything different?




I saw a big mess on the way to McDonald's.




Aunt eb explained that on the weekends that a lot of people burn incense to ward off the evil spirits. They burn special papers to bring them good luck, good health and happiness and other things as well. Maybe Mr Chong can tell us more about this, but it was surely a mess. So much for Singapore not having litter. Aunt eb says they pick it up right away the next day. Thankfully it does not stay this way long.


Today is Easter. All we really did was shop at Corts (for appliances) ICK-eee-yah for stuff to go into a new condo Mr Dallas is trying to get ready for more employees. Aunt eb and I will do lots of shopping for it this week, but today, she made Mr Dallas and Uncle Steve help her get some of the things she needed for it. Mr Dallas was mighty upset - he said he cannot go shopping with us any more because Aunt eb made him buy TWO microwaves and he cannot afford to spend so much money. He wanted one microwave for his condo, and she wanted one for the other condo they were getting ready. She made him buy two and then she bought a whole basket full of stuff at ICK-eee-yah.

You should try getting all that mess into a taxi! We had to take two taxi's and drop some of the stuff off at one condo, then get another taxi to bring us back to Riveredge. It is very hard not having a car to do things. We spend a lot of time waiting on Taxi's. Most people in Singapore do not own a car - they use taxi's or the mass transit system. Do you know what that is?

Even though it is Easter, Aunt Euvah didn't have anything to celebrate it with :-( She was sort of sad and homesick today. There are very little Easter decorations here - and no Easter dye for eggs. I missed the spring fun of Easter and hiding eggs, but I understand if she cannot find any it is not her fault. I also know I am in another country trying to learn all about it, so I will be ok this year without the Easter celebration. All the eggs here are brown anyway.

Well, it has been a long day - I am going to go snuggle in to the bed that Uncle Steve made for me again. Nighty night :-)

Miss you and love you.

Stanley Flat

6 comments:

surprisetriplets said...

Are you having fun? I am,too. I can't wait to see the pictures of Bali. I'm glad you're there to keep aunt Euvah company.

Love,
Nicole

Oswald Chong said...

I didn't expect question from you.... I didn't know that "July" comes so early in Singapore... I thought it should be somewhere around May/June.... the Lunar Calendar "July" is the day where "ghosts" are released from hell and their spirits wander around human beings.... I'm a Catholic (from my mom), but my dad was a Taoist.... so I followed this ritual. I hated those burnings of joss papers.... joss papers are monies to these ghosts to spend in hell, and nowadays, they have passports, houses, cars, maids, PDA, computers... all the modern luxuries you can find at your house! The oranges are "food" for the other "ghosts" to guide them to their proper places, of whatever the chinese believe.... the joss sticks are burnt so that the ghosts can collect them as "money" so that they can earn enough to be reborn.... surprisingly, the Cantonese (my dad's dialect group) also believes that we should burn "Won San Chien", money to life... so that you can bribe your way to be reborn as human beings (and not as animals)....

If you live close to the housing estate, you will begin to get some noises! There will be auctions at night (most will be done by 11pm), where people will bid for items... the noise is to fend off all the "ghosts" that roam around at night.... yes, many people will be very irritated by the burning of joss sticks and papers.... and yes, this is one of the dirtiest period of the year!!!! The entire country will be extremely messy! No one is supposed to clean up these messes, as the ghosts will be there to collect their monies etc.

Of course, what you've seen is a smaller version of the "ghosts"... I think there are some Taoists that are fending off some "spirits" in their lives.... and they thought they're trapped by some evil spirits, and thus, they burn some joss papers, and sticks to bribe these ghosts so that they can get lost from their lives.... I learn to be tolerant towards this practice.... I used to live in a three room apartment near Bukit Merah, and man.... during July, it was REALLY NOISY! I learn to live with those noise, can you imagine, I could still fall asleep while they were auctioning??? I don't know how to do that now!

Some readings....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_paper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_stick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Festival

"Enjoy" the coming July..... it can be an "exciting" experience....

Oswald Chong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oswald Chong said...

They belong to the Sea Scouts of Singapore....

http://www.seascout.org/ships/international/Singapore/index.html

There are Boys Scouts, Girls Guides, and Sea Scouts.... The Boys Scouts and Girls Guides are inherited from the British, but I'm not sure about Sea Scouts... I had a few friends who were Sea Scouts during their Secondary School years (high school)... they do more sea sports, unlike the Boys Scouts....

Enjoy your Bali trip! It's one of the best places on earth!

cajunsis said...

Hee hee, Mr Chong, thank you for answering our questions. You help me to understand Singapore so much more! I am thrilled to learn so much from you. Yes, it is quite a mess. I had no idea what it was for - now I know to expect it for several months. Wow. I actually see it quite randomly - and never know what is going on. Now I know...

The 'boy' scouts - they even all SAID they were boy scouts! How odd! I am glad that is explained as well :-) Thanks again for all your wealth of information.

Oswald Chong said...

My pleasure to answer all your questions. I enjoy answering your questions.... just as I'm enjoying asking people questions about the place that I'm living.... like the differences between Conservatives and Liberals!

Singaporeans talk in that way...... they presume everyone knows that they are talking about... (the boy scout case). So they just tell you "Boy Scouts".... that's how Singlish evolves.... a form of language that uses the simplest words or sentences from a language a Singaporean knows. This reduces communication time, but then, can be quite a challenge for someone new to understand.