Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Proper Way To Pay in Singapore

Thanks to Pam for giving me this warning when I first came to Singapore. She explained that paying is done a certain way in Singapore - to show respect - and followed through with showing me. Whew - was I glad I had that heads up! Thanks for that hint and walking me through it, Pam :-)

I was paying today and thought how nice it is to show respect to each other - and I reaized, I don't think I have shared the proper way to pay with my friends from the states.


When you pay (anyone at all) here, you hold the money or credit card with both hands, identify your payment as "cash" or "credit card" and bow your head in respect as you hand the person the money. That person accepts the money with the same respect, nodding their head and accepting the money with both hands.




When receiving change, it is reversed. The person gives you your change with the receipt tucked nicely on top, and the coin change on top of the receipt, again nodding as you accept the money.



You can be swift about entire transaction, but you never feel "rushed" like you do in the states. The cashier waits until you have properly been given a friendly, farewell greeting before helping the next person in line.

I still find this very fascinating - most people in Singapore follow this rule. It is considered disrespectful if you do not - and I, for one, think it is a breath of fresh air for 2 seconds of respect.

THAT store in the states needs to take hints from Singaporeans on how to treat a customer. Singapore has it down to a pleasant art. :-)

1 comment:

Rycon Payne said...

While that wasn't the case in Japan, there were many, many, many other things that happened daily, and frequently, that were based in common respect of your surroundings, people near you, vehicles around you, etc. All of which made various things take a few seconds longer, but ultimately made you *feel* better, more appreciated, and less frustrated. This is just an entire attitude that is hard to explain to Americans, hard to make them understand. I can tell you about the small details, but the point is that there are so many of them that all added together make this powerful and significant whole that changes your attitude.

And *because* of this, even "hardcore" American soldiers who and were "threatening" around other americans became polite, nice, and respectful people offbase.