Sunday, February 22, 2009

Botanical Gardens




This weekend, we went to the Botanical Gardens for the day. Packing our traditional picnic lunch, water and the camera (man I have to figure carrying this thing out), we browsed the free gardens - again - and still have more to see. I promised Steve I would finish it... by myself. I will. I promise I will... I will do it... I can do it, yes I CAN do it… lol...

The gardens are absolutely beautiful. As I have said before, Singapore makes it very easy to go out and get healthy with your family. There were many families in the gardens, many people running and walking dogs, but it was in no way crowded. There are so many parks in Singapore that it would be hard for them to be crowded – and like so many others, this one is huge. Families were playing football (soccer), flying kites, line dancing, and singing. There was even a wedding going on - or at least a photography shoot for it. What a beautiful place to go for a day.

Singaporeans love to have pictures taken and often ask you to have your picture taken with them - on their camera. I have no idea why this is exciting for them, but it is. When you ask to take pictures of groups of people, they are most accommodating and will nearly always give the peace or love sign:



Art and statues around are great around the island. The Botanical Gardens are no exception when it comes to art – it is not all greenery and flowers:










Tucked in the gardens are the Orchid Gardens, which you have to pay a bit to get into – but worth every penny! There are thousands of orchids – which are all over Singapore, but here, I can see them all in one place :-)

There is no way I could share all of the pictures with you, but here is a small sampling of some:









LOOK at the size of this tree! Yes, this is a man raking near it. I love the roots on these trees! Aren’t they wonderful?




There is a tree here that has long strings of seeds hanging from it. The seeds used to be used in weighing other items as they were very uniform in size. Here, someone had another use for them:


As we were leaving we found a tree of peace. These are all Origami Birds of Peace hanging from it for the Chinese New Year:



It was a wonderful day to get out. We did get a bit wet, but got out just as the downpour came. It was worth getting wet – we had another great adventure this weekend.

I am having some issues with the site right now, I will come back and edit it when I am not fretting over the perfection of it. I do want to tell you the name of the statues, but I am getting overly frustrated with it.

I know you are gasping... me OCD?!?

Later gator...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been a very good photographer that took the fist picture, the one with that good looking lady in it!

Oswald Chong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
surprisetriplets said...

What great pictures!!! I'm glad you're enjoying your new camera. I hope you have a great week!!!

Martie said...

EB--My daughter Cori will be so jealous! She LOVES orchids! They are her absolutely favorite flower! Would you mind forwarding me some of the pictures you took of the orchids, so I can have them printed up for her to hang in her room?

I LOVE the picture of the tree with the origami! STUNNING! And you are such a fantastic photographer!

You should put together a book when you get back home! I would bet you could get it published!

Thanks for sharing!