Monday, January 19, 2009

Sad News - and Too Far Away to Help :-(

I have always thought that no matter who comes through your life, no matter how long they were are part of your life, they came for a reason and leave heart strings. If you never see that person again, you always have a memory; maybe you have learned something good – or even bad from the experience. Whatever you learned, if you were smart you grew from it.

40 years ago, a family came into our life and became our family – not even really extended family - family. I am not going to explain the circumstances, but we were indeed one large family. Virgil was the oldest ‘brother’ in the family – 15 years older than Jeanie and I we were. Because he was so much older he was already out on his own when we were young. He was quiet - if not shy - but he was always gentle and corrected us gently. I always looked up to Virgil because he seemed to me, even at my young age, to be the stoic one. I am sure the circumstances prior to him becoming family contributed to his strength, but he was like a rock. He taught me there could be patience in the world and that you could make quiet decisions and he did not speak loudly to get results.

Virgil died last night. He had been having heart trouble, has had several heart attacks and we knew he was walking on unsteady ground. Last week he had surgery, and yesterday, they suggested he was doing well enough to get out of ICU into a regular room. Lynn got a call from the hospital that he had taken a turn for the worse. Once she arrived, she found out he had already passed away. Liz called me at 3am to tell me the sad news. I needed to know. I was restless the rest of the night, waking often to think of the family.

I wish I could be there for Jeanie. She is broken hearted and in shock and needs me. She called Sharon in Arabia (her sister - who she rarely sees) and Sharon took it hard as well – I have no idea if she will be able to make the trip to the states.

Anyway, I will say tons of prayers for the family. Even though I have not seen Virgil in years, he still holds a special place in my heart and through Jeanie, I always knew how things were going with him and his family. May he rest in peace and may peace encompass Jeanie and all the family – and may it include us. We lost someone dear, a distant but very real, part of our lives.


Off to that Drs appointment - and it is just as well. It will keep me busy the rest of the day. I just want to bawl.

2 comments:

BLJ Graves Studio said...

I am so sorry for your loss. {{Hugs}}. I hope your Dr appointment goes well. :-)

Rycon Payne said...

*huggle*