Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So I Called the Propane Gas Man...

Getting propane for the bbq grill here is easy. You call a phone number and they deliver in under 15 minutes.

Good thing I was dressed, because they were here in under 4 minutes!

Gas men come up and one says, “Attendant down stairs says CANNOT! (take bottle up).”

"I tell attendant - tell owner – I work for owner. Owner called. CAN!”

Attendant (throws hands up and says) “GO!” but he follow to elevator. “CANNOT!”

“CAN! OWNER says CAN!”

“(’gibberish’ and walks off) – "I bring owner propane.”

“Attendant says cannot use… ‘do you have double what is it? TWO A’s! battery?’ (looking at me for answer) so I say to you - you no use here – but I work for you – not for attendant. You do what is in heart. (I hand him double A battery – for what I do not know…)

“Thank for two A battery. I change.”

He pulls knob off starter on grill and changes battery, then says “It no work. You have long start? I don’t care if owner use outside. Harmless! But attendant say CANNOT! You do what your heart. Look! I start, safely. It work good. Outside. Good."

“You buy grill in Singapore?”

“Husband bought grill from someone leaving Singapore.”

“Good grill. What you cook? ahhla, chicken, steak, smoke TURKEY? American holiday? Ohla? Thanksgiving? “

Shakes head in disbelief… “smoke-ah-la TURKEY?!”

Thinks about it, then shakes head and hands me rolled up paper.

"What is this?"

He says “New year start soon. I give you Chinese calendar to start new year. Thank you, I get change.”

He calls for other man, they get change to me and as he leaves, he says; “I work for owner. Use if heart tells you can. CAN use. Safe!”

Looks warily at grill.

“Good Bye. Good morning. Good Day... ... ...Turkey?”

I give him tip.


"ahhh laaa... Thank you!” as he graciously bows head and leaves, arching eyebrow and looking back at grill again.

I am sure they are still trying to figure this out… Lol…



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me too.