Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Port Installation Coming Soon

Port?  You say?
 

Yes, I am getting a port.  My veins are shot.  I have had so many surgeries over the years (due to my ICL) and so many blood draws that I only have one good vein left.  When I had my infusion a few weeks ago, they blew 5 veins.  The only two that held a little while was my one good one and one they found in my THUMB.  Suffice it to say, they determined that since I will be getting IgIV every 28 days that I need a port.

Like a cancer port. BUT I do NOT have cancer!  But I need a port.

Tomorrow, I will be getting my port 'installed'.  I don't like the sounds of it, I don't like the fact that a foreign body will be put under my skin and I don't like the fact that it will be permanent.  But I guess it is necessary and I do trust my Dr. 

It will have a bump under my chest wall.  It will look like and be accessed like this... 



I guess this is supposed to be good for me, but it terrifies me.  It takes a lot to rattle me, but this has me extremely rattled.  Maybe it has to do with 'foreign object permanently inserted into my chest'.  Maybe it has to do with them cutting on my chest.  Maybe it has to do with this article I read today:

Read scary things about it HERE.

And a much less detailed blog post which I enjoyed reading can be found RIGHT HERE.

So we will see how this goes.  Obviously I am concerned because a 25% success rate just isn't that good and I do have a serious immune deficiency.  

But back to trusting my Dr... 

While researching this, I came across this little tidbit of info.  Remember my CD4 count is 39?  Check this out:


  • CD4 Count Explained



    Healthy500 - 1,660
    Borderline Low350 - 500
    Low200 - 350
    Extremely Dangerous0 - 200
  • 39!

I have had a few too many reality checks in the last few months.  This port placement makes it all very, VERY real.

I will be using sewing therapy the rest of today - trying to wrap my mind around it all.  

Again.

Wish me luck.  Say a few prayers for me if you will.  I will be back with the update in a few days.




No comments: