Friday, March 5, 2010

Simply Siblings

As most of you know, I am a scrapbooker.  Liz (my sister) and I have started scrapbooking pages from when we were kids.  We have every intent to scrapbook all the pictures from when we were growing up.  Last night, staying on the theme of family, I decided that I would like to share a few pages from our scrapbook.  

So digging through the scans I came up with one to share today.



Liz did the journaling on these pages and I can honestly say, I read them again for the 'first' time today.  It warms my heart.  I don't think it can be read, not sure if I scanned it at a low resolution or what, but here are the individual pages.  Simply Siblings is all about how close we were as kids.



The journaling on this page says:

"While we certainly had our fair share of sibling rivalry, by and large when you saw one of us you saw all.  Circumstances contrived to keep us close, and we shared all the the joy, sadness and angst of youth."

"Shari was the quiet one, though when riled, you found us all running.  Danny was rambunctious and a comic, and Liz was, well, Liz and Euvah was sisi, which just about says it all."

Liz is not "just Liz", she always tried to please everyone - much like her sissi. She loved to sit a draw or color and has always been artistic.  Liz, being bombarded with the twins sometimes got lost in the shuffle of things, but I always thought it was her and I against "them".  The twins were born a team, we had to team up together to keep the other two under wraps, even though Liz and I were 8 years apart.  It was not really that we are against them - it was more self defense... lol... 

I honestly don't know how we did it.  It is difficult for adults to handle twins.  Mom had a nervous breakdown (that is what it was called in those days) between Liz and the twins, and basically checked out.  She also had a bad car accident during that time which broke her back - but we didn't find that out until years later.  She was not allowed to go to the Dr, but she was in a tremendous amount of pain.  She did what she could, but we did a lot, too.  Dad left when the kids were under two.  What an ordeal it all was - but as I have said before, we were all survivors - we did it!  Mom included.

Danny was indeed the rambunctious one; always in high gear if he was awake and always kept us on our toes.  He always has had a knack for keeping us in stitches - laughter with him is easy even today.  He has always been loud and boisterous - in a good way.  As most of you know, cops and medics (of which Danny was both) have to have a different personality in order to deal with the nasty stuff.  That fits Danny to a "T".

Shari, aka Ms Orderly, was also Ms Peace Maker.  If things weren't going right, she made it right if she could.  She always tried to make everyone get along, but she was good at stepping back and taking note.  She was incredibly quiet, too.  I recall one time, Dad sitting at the kitchen chair and hearing Danny clumping down the way towards him.  I was sitting beside him and we both reached down to close the tool box, only to find Shari digging it in already and teething on a wrench.  We laughed about that forever! 



The journaling on this pages says:

"Age became a chasm as it sometimes will, and returned sisi to Euvah.  For a time though, to this day, in times of pain and strife, we all revert to the comfort and still familiar "sisi"."

"We were (and still are) uniquely close to one another, and especially "sisi" as Euvah was called most of our youth.  I am not actually certain that we knew Euvah was her given name for a considerable length of time, though I distinctly recall hearing, "UBA, my CRUCK!" from Danny on a regular basis."

Indeed danny did call me Uba - and more often that not, Uba Dail - as my name is Euvah Gail.  Apparently, he heard someone calling me by my "your in trouble" name more than once... lol... And to this day, those are the only nicknames I love, Sisi, and Uba Dail - all because they are said with love.

And as you can see, I surely love my siblings.

1 comment:

Noelle Reese said...

How sweet! I love my siblings too. We are lucky to have them!