Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Old Things

When we went to Laurel Valley in Thibodaux a few days ago, I took pictures of some of the old things that were displayed there.  I love looking at old things, don't you?

Here are a few pictures I took:











Just a bunch of stuff from the 'olden' days as some kids say.  It is so interesting to look at items our ancestors used and realize how far we have come since the beginning of time.  Today most of the young 'ens would never know how to use most of this stuff.  Sometimes I feel that is a bad thing, other times I am just thankful we have come as far as we have.  However, I do think 'working' for a life is not a bad thing.  It is hard to strike a happy balance, one that gives us the self satisfaction of a job well done and one that let's us kick back and relax more than our ancestors had a chance to do.

I found a couple of other things that piqued my interest as well:





Just old stuff, but very nostalgic to some.  I enjoyed the day at Laurel Valley, meandering and relaxing.  Seems like I have been doing a lot of that lately... however...


It looks like we will be leaving on Monday to go to OKLAHOMA!  Finally!  Steve was supposed to go to Venezuela, but can you believe the consulate is out of VISA stamps for Venezuela??  They cannot issue any until further notice because they have to receive the VISA stamps from Venezuela and that country has not sent any.  So he is on hold for now with that.  Oh.  Darn.  We decided we are going to head on up to Oklahoma, sift through some houses and when the time comes, if he is there, he will just fly from there to do the job.  

Anticipation?  Not yet, I am certain it will come, but I have gotten my hopes up over and over for several months now, found houses I thought I would love, then saw them sell.  I quit looking too hard, or maybe I quit looking and letting my hopes get up only to see the houses vanish.  For now I will be optimistic, but I know things can change in the blink of an eye.  It is also a bittersweet move; leaving a place we have come to know and love, leaving our friends, leaving our girls and leaving a life we are 'comfortable' in.  It is inevitable; life moves on and the new becomes old, the feared becomes loved and the forgotten is remembered.  I try to look forward to new adventures ahead, knowing that all new stages in our lives started out as adventures waiting to happen... and with that, I will try to look forward.  

But in the meantime, looking at and enjoying the 'old things' in life is comforting and nostalgic.

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

Love the pictures!! We had fun with you that day. Looking forward to this weekend.