Thursday, November 27, 2008

Ever Smoked a Turkey on the Grill?



We smoked one on the grill today! It has been so many years since we had a turkey not smoked we were determined to try. It worked - well, it was not a perfect turkey, not nearly as smoked as we normally get it, but we did get our smoked turkey!

Steve worked the entire day, but Pam came over carrying a yummy pumpkin pie; we sat on the balcony and watched the sunset. I think she enjoyed our view as much as we do. We ate our Thanksgiving turkey and played Uno - while munching on that great pie. It was a nice, relaxed, quiet evening - and so nice to have a friend over to enjoy the holiday with us. I can’t imagine it alone. I cannot believe we did not get a picture of us!
Some scrapper I am :-(

It is odd being in a place that has a never ending summer. Usually when we smoke turkey, we breathe in the smoke with a nice brisk, cool/cold breeze. Here, we have a nice balmy, humid breeze - not quite what we are used to.

While the turkey was smoking, I was afraid someone here in Singapore would call the fire department because of all the smoke coming from our condo balcony. After the discussion with the propane man I wonder if it is even ok to have a bbq pit on the balcony... who knows? We have never been told different and we were the first few people to move in, so we aren't giving it up. Thankfully everything went smoothly, no fire department showed up - and the turkey was not burned or dry. It was not as juicy as it normally is, but it was not bone dry either.

One down side to having a turkey in Singapore - apparently there are no turkeys for several continents away - they are shipped in and they cost an arm and a leg. A 12 lb turkey cost nearly $50! Not wasting a bite here :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you that are just starting your holiday :-) Watch lots of football for us - all we can see here is the news coverage on the terrorists attacks in India. Too close to our 'new' home if you ask me.

Oh! What am I thankful for?

I am thankful for a wonderful hubby
I am thankful he has a job - even if it is halfway around the world
I am thankful for our healthy family
I am thankful to be able to enjoy our grandchildren
I am thankful for friends here in Singapore and at home
I am thankful to be so incredibly blessed with another day

Yes, we have a lot to be thankful for.

Go have fun! Hope to see you soon :-) Christmas is just around the corner now. Better be nice…

No comments: