Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Big 5-0!

Today was my 50th birthday. So how does it feel being 50? Just a day older than yesterday :-) thank goodness! I did get kinda depressed when Celia said I got my AARP card in though. I took a picture of myself today so I can remember what I am supposed to look like when I forget. Thank goodness for tripods and remotes. I sure don't think I should be a half of a century old!

How do I feel about it?

* Where did the time go?
* Is it really true? When my mom was 50, I thought it was OLD! Now I don't think so.

* Honestly, this is a wonderful time in my life. Steve and I have enjoyed getting to know each other again, and have gotten to explore some wonderful places. I am looking forward to continuing to do so.

* I wish I could have been with my family - even if they would have planned a plot.

* I am thankful to have lived 50 years. When I was a teen I never thought I would see 18 - much less 50. I am proud of who I became despite what has happened in my life, the mistakes I have made and look forward to however long I am blessed to continue to enjoy life.
Enough about feelings... Steve gave me an awesome Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 Aspherical Lens for my camera this morning - complete with a UV filter :-) I LOVE it! I was able to take pictures I would have never been able to take with my other lenses. The clarity of the lens is wonderful. I think I am hooked :-)

You will see some distortion, but the huge range of field it makes up for it. This picture shows the distortion in the top part - but look how much you can see - all the way from our guard shack to the city! If I move the lens up, you don't see distortion across the center of the lens. I just took these from our balcony so you can really get a feel on what our area looks like - with a wide angle lense.

There are some things that the distortion is cool on - like temples:

I have no idea what was going on at the temple, but it was a wonderful service. They had dozens of tables set out with the same food on every table. Watching the ritual was very moving. If I am not mistaken, this is a Buddhist Temple. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Do you know what was going on?


I have seen this fence behind the Hindu Temple over and over, but today I noticed what was really on it. Do you see the elephants and peacocks?


I am saddened by all that has taken place in Mumbai India in the last 3 days - some of our guards are from India and we have had a running conversation about the happenings. One assured me I could go to the Taj Mahal now - I said I thought I would just wait. Life is getting more and more terrifying. Today (Black Friday) in the states, two people were killed at a Toys R Us and one at a Wal-Mart. Is it really THAT important to get a gift? No, and certainly not worth taking lives. What a senseless tragedy.

We finished most of our Christmas shopping and ate outdoors at the indoor stadium. Thankfully we had a nice stroll to and from, we needed to walk off some of the yummies we ate. We had a wonderful day. Thank you my dear hubby for my gifts - I am certainly not worth it. You will have to stop more often for me to take pictures - you may be sorry ;-)


I think being 50 is over rated. I don't feel it and I think it is just another number. I am only one day older :-)

5 comments:

surprisetriplets said...

I want one of those lenses! The pictures are amazing and I LOVE the one of you on the balcony. Have a great day today since it is your REAL birthday in the States. We love and miss you lots and wish we could be with you.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! YOU ARE ONE HOT MOMMA! You look fantastic!

Melissa D.

Pam said...

fifty is nifty!!

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous birthday. You look amazing! Isn't it funny how the older we get the younger those numbers sound?

Christy said...

Happy belated bday & congrats on the weight loss and the road to a new, healthier you! Also, I LOVE the picture of the gate with the elephants on it. If I ever own a mansion that needs a gate, I'm getting gates with elephants, for sure! :-)