Thursday, November 6, 2008

All Better Today :-)


I have finally about caught up on my resting and woke early (around 4am our time) and laid in bed looking out the window at our beautiful view. That is one great thing about where we live - we could not have a better view, unless of course we were on the 16th floor. As I looked at the stars (and lightening in the distance), I realized how truly blessed I am. I have a wonderful hubby, a great family, children we are extremely proud of, grandchildren we obsess over, sisters and brothers we love dearly, food in our tummies and a home - in fact in two places we have a home. One Schlumberger gives us in Singapore and the other is our very own piece of earth in Louisiana, USA. How much better can it get? Yes, indeed I am all better today. I was definitely overtired.

Steve came in late again last night. I know he has to be exhausted too. Again, I don't know how he does it.

I have some news to share that I have kept pretty much between family and friends I see routinely. I am ready to let everyone in on it. I stepped on the scale this morning and I can proudly say I have lost 52 lbs now! At first I was unbelieving. I bought another scale at home for proof that the old one had not died. Then when I came to Singapore I bought one - and it matched the other two within 3 pounds. I have diligently tried to lose weight - it has not come easy, but it is steadily coming off. While at home, I finally got the nerve to pull out the book I had started nearly 2 years ago, with my original weight in it. I looked and (gulp!) indeed I had lost. I took out the trusty tape measure and I have lost 13.75 inches on the 5 parts of the body I dared measure... rofl... I did add more today. I made my weight loss official when I found my medical records while home - with a weight in 2006. I knew then I was on the right track. It was not my all time high, but it definitely showed a huge loss.

While I was home I had to buy new clothes. Not an easy feat since I needed hot weather clothes and it is winter there - but I did find some, thankfully on clearance.

How have I done it? I have not dieted. I have tried every diet known to man and none worked for me. I had not had my tummy stapled as I am scared to death of the complications Pauline had - so very many we nearly lost her. I don't think I was 'obese' enough to even be considered any way - but I am not sure. I didn't try.


So what did I do?

1. I cut back my portions tremendously.


2. I cut back on starches. Man was that hard. (Once I got over the craving though - it was much better)


3. I make myself wait a minimum of 15 minutes before I can get seconds of anything - 20 is better. By then I am over it.


4. I make sensible choices most of the time. Of course, I do cheat, but I make myself do without something else when I do.


5. No eating between meals. I do occasionally 'eat' a frozen orange juice. If I have a horrible hunger pain, I drink water, wait 10 minutes and allow myself one hard candy if it continues.


6. I started stretching exercises when I am doing anything.
Brushing teeth, I do a squat for a count of 50 - I started at barely making 25. When I am paused watching tv, I do side bends for a count of 50, I bend over and touch the floor for a count of 50, I sit and touch my toes for a count of 50... anything I can think of I start doing and I work up to the count of 50. Loading laundry, I am tippy toeing for a count of 50, I have added more exercises as the days go on, but always working up to the count of 50. That was easy because in Singapore, we have a stupid tick-tock clock that clicks every second. 50 seconds of every repetition. One thing I have found to stretch my tummy muscles (I hate sit ups, they have always hurt my back) is to sit on the side of the bed, lay back, legs hanging, stretch my arms overhead and... count to 50... lol.

I don't think I walk here more than I did at home. Only occasionally if I do so. I do think I am much more conscious of how healthy people are here compared to the USA. Everyone here is conscious of exercising by walking, skating, biking, running... you name it, they do it. The choices of food here are generally much better than at home, and much smaller portions. When I look in a mall, I see the 'Sing choices' and the American choices; KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut... you get the idea... I think it helped me to realize how unhealthy our choices are at home and how HUGE they are!

The one thing that kills me is my craving for Coke. I do still crave it, but I take the plunge and treat myself about 3 times a week.

When I get on a plateau, I add more calories for about 3-5 days, then back off. The next day I start losing again.

I still have a long way to go, but I am still proud of myself. I have cheated myself and my dear hubby for so many years, but I know I cannot take that back. I will only continue to go forward from here. I wish I had done this years ago. The results are not as pretty as they would have been years ago, but I still feel so much better. Health wise, it could not have hurt me. I am anxious to see how my physical comes out in December.

One thing happened to me while I was home that stunned me. I was shopping 3 different times, and I had 'comments', 'approving looks' or 'cat calls'. If you know my story, you know my heart would have previously stopped and I would have back slid. This time, I was ok with it. I was able to be proud and keep on going. He is finally gone and has no control over me any more. What a healing thought that is. It only took 32 years... and I only have eyes and ears for my hubby, so those are only compliments now.

Anyway, I am going to find something fun to do today - I need to get out of the condo. Hope you have a great day! This weekend is coming and I can't wait to spend it with my hubby.


4 comments:

Rycon Payne said...

Mom, you look great. You should be extremely proud of yourself! Alex and I both couldn't get over how good you looked, and I couldn't stop complimenting you. Alex is also looking pretty darn great herself. Keep up the good job, both of you. :)

Pam said...

SO excited for you...you worked really hard! and also glad to see you are feeling better...it is hard to go home, then come back....almost have to start all over again. But now that you are back, we can get out and have some fun!

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you, but not just for loosing weight, for everything you are and everything you do!

Steve

Kim's Life said...

You Go Girl!!!! Great Job!!!