Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Medicine Park, Oklahoma

Great place to visit - especially if you have time to visit the area around Medicine Park.

Medicine park is a quaint cobblestone home and building town near Lawton, OK.  They have a few little shops on the Main Street to shop in - IF you go on the weekend or in the summer, I assume.  We are retired, so most were closed while we were there during the week.  

               




We really wanted to visit this store, as it has rave reviews, but it wasn’t meant to be.  They did not open our entire visit.



We stayed at the Plantation Inn in Medicine Park.  It was fine, but if you needed extra towels, etc. you had to walk 2 blocks to their restaurant to ask.  The room was clean, a/c worked fine, showers were good.  It is a very old building, so the floors creaked - but it didn’t bother us.  Not sure about our neighbors though.  😂  I would stay there again if we went back.

           

There are pews on the porch to sit on downstairs, and chairs in the screened in porch upstairs at the hotel.  We sat out there and visited quite a bit.  


The very best part of Medicine Park is the water running through it, and the walkways next to and over the water!





This picture just wants to stay here!  It is one of the cobblestone houses in Medicine Park.  I have tried to move it, delete it, and cut it.  Nope!  It says it lives here.  So here ya go!


Medicine Park is not handicapped friendly at all.  I saw very little adaptions to help people get around - the hotel included.  There are no rails on the steps even, which made it difficult for me to get into the hotel without someone secure.  Of course, I had a bum hip, so that made it more difficult.

Medicine Park is not a shopping town - not even a souvenir shopping town.  There are maybe half a dozen stores IF they are all open with a very limited selection.  It is mainly set up to be a swimming hole for the kids, I think.


I wasn’t disappointed in Medicine Park.  I love small places, walks by the river, nature, bridges, Geocaching, and just relaxing.  This trip was all of that.  My only two disappointments are that modern homes are being built up around it, taking away from the novelty of the cobblestone homes, and the one store I really wanted to visit was closed.  On a relaxation scale of 1-10, it is definitely an 8.  I did have a feeling they are attempting to turn it into a glorified tourist attraction though - and I have no idea why I thought that.  It would be sad though.  

More on the area around Medicine Park in future posts.

****************************
I got my shot in my back today, so I am feeling better.  My back and leg are not pain free, but much better.  Hopefully they will even get better as the week goes on.  Dr says I have a pinched nerve between the pelvis and hip.  He also stated it had been a whole year since I had been in!  Go me!  I am of the opinion, “suck it up buttercup!”, but sometimes I just need a break in one area.  Break time!
 


No comments: