Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pearl Harbor

Indeed we did get up early and make it in to Pearl Harbor - just as I said we would.  It was a very long and memorable day - in so many ways...

We got up early and raced to Pearl Harbor to get in on the tours - we had heard they sell out early.  Man, I am really glad we got there early - we were the first tour on the Memorial.  Why was that so special?  Take a look at the picture I got of the first officer arriving at the memorial and prior to us boarding for the tour:


Breathtaking isn't it?


While we were on it, I looked out at the USS Missouri battleship:



Today was tremendously sobering.  It took us 10 hours to tour the entire area.  10 sobering hours of what the nation went through during WWII.  You hear about it growing up, but you just cannot really wrap your mind around the horrors.  Today, it really sunk in for me.  I will never again look at pictures of this site and not have very deep emotions surrounding it.



Thanks to all the men and women who served during the wars, and thanks to those who come back to tell us more about WWII; to relive it - day in and day out - it was such a pleasure meeting you today.  I will never forget the impact today had on me.  You are treasures for coming in and sharing your lives and time with us...
  



Today you truly did make a difference in one person's life.  I never have taken for granted what the men and women of the US Armed Services give up for us, but today, it touched me to the very depths of my soul.  You and this memorial really put it in perspective.


Thank you.

3 comments:

Cajunrose said...

ROFLMAO....this is almost a bit weird...maybe not almost. LOL What happens if you decided to visit the volcano instead? LOL

Cajunrose said...

Wow...I admittedly don't know much about what happened. I'll bet it was really eye opening!

applesofgold said...

visiting Pearl Harbor is on my Bucket List of things to do. I've read so many stories and have wanted to wrap my brain around it. Kind of like my senior year of high school, when my gov't class took a field trip to The Wall...I was left weeping with the realization that it was more than just a war....it was real people that fought and died.