Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Orleans in the Morning...

... and Seattle for lunch - how incredible is that? We stepped out into a light rain and mid-70's weather. Ahhh... I ltruly love it - and I darned well better enjoy it... in two weeks I will be in Singapore! lol...

On the plane we met a soldier who was coming home from Iraq. Liz and I visited with him, both thanking him immediately for what he has done - the huge sacrifice and dedication. He had been gone for a year, and was going home to meet his wife and three kids; one of his children he was meeting for the first time. He was on top of the world. Having flown so far, he was exhausted but on an emotional high. He visited with us, he rested a bit, but mostly he was grinning from ear to ear, and could not contain the excitement... the anticipation. When we were ready to leave, the stewardess made the announcement that we had two servicemen coming back from Iraq and asked everyone to let them get off the plane first to go greet their families. There was a huge applause that lasted until our new friend and his buddy made their exit.

Our soldier buddy is pictured here, his name marked out to protect his identity... I did ask his permission. How do you become so connected to someone in such a short amount of time? Can you see his excitement?


While flying, I saw a perfect shot for a photographer - and since I was in the middle seat, I had to ask Liz to take it for me - but she did exactly as I asked her to do. Team work and here are our results: How cool is this shot?




Next on the agenda was meeting our own family :-) 



 
Aren't our nieces and nephew precious? 

 
Ballard Locks had tons of salmon using the ladders! How fun to see them - and as many times as we have gone, this is the first time I have actually seen them. They were even rolling in the water! Amazing site to see - and I could just stay at the locks for hours :-)


...and finally but not least, while we were at the Ballard Locks, there was a boat towing another, obviously in trouble - and it started sinking! The locks rose and they had to bail water until the boat could get out of the locks and get it to a dry dock. The poor girl bailed frantically for at leat 20 minutes. She looked to be in her 20's and she was beet red from the work. We were hoping she did not have a heart attack. How horrible. I sure hope they (her and the boat) made it. It was quite interesting to watch the water police hang back and watch. Literally.


It has been a wonderful relaxing day - the first unstressful day in a month. I took a 45 minute cat nap last night. Tonight Paul Mauriot has just lulled me into a cross eyed stupor - a contented one at that. Off for a good nights rest.

2 comments:

Cajunrose said...

Glad you made it ok! That is neat about the soldier. Was shari on the other end watching them see their family? That would be neat too.

I love the ballard locks. They are neat to sit and watch. Todd used to live in Ballard :)

Sandy said...

what a wonderful post... and i loved your servicemen story!! i am so excited for you... PLEASE keep updating. a great adventure is upon you. :)