Thursday, March 27, 2014

Underground Railroad Quilt Sampler - Finished!

Several years ago, my partner in crime, Sharon, told me this story about a quilt called The Underground Railroad Sampler.  She shared a bit of the history that came with it and said that she would love to make the Underground Railroad and give the quilt to someone special she had in mind.  

Sharon and I were 'new' friends, and I was a 'new' quilter, but I offered to share that adventure with her.  We bought the book spend hours shopping for our fabrics, put a brazillion miles on our vehicles for 'just the perfect piece':




 We laid it out over and over again auditioning and regrouping:




Finally, when we felt brave enough, we pasted our final selections into the book, assured that it would all come together with ease:



And we would finally have a quilt that we could proudly display that somewhat looked like this:


And we started our adventure.  Nearly every week we would get together and work through a block.  Some weeks it was a breeze.  Other weeks, we found that even though Eleanor Burns is a terrific quilter, she sometimes doesn't document her measurements correctly - or her publisher doesn't transfer them correctly.

On those weeks, we would try and try again to make the block work.  Once we were convinced it was not Sharon (or more often me) making the mistakes, we would race to the Public Library and ask my beloved (and famous quilting) friend, Claudia Plett, to help us figure out what we had done wrong.  Claudia would get out her trusty little pencil and whittle away on the numbers and hand us the CORRECTED version of what Eleanor Burns had given in her book and we would start our trusty little block again. And with Claudia's help we were actually able to finish it!

Nearly two years later.

So with no further ado, I will let you decide how my quilt came out:


Started in August 2012 and finally finished March 25, 2014


I am super proud of this one!  It was my first ever quilt that I actually had a pattern to follow, one to correct, and a quilt that I actually accomplished making!  Oh sure, I have done my Batik quilt, but friends had made treasured blocks for me; so while it was mine, it was not all my work.

I have also made rag quilts, and finally finihsed the faux quilt, and some lap quilts - but this is one that is... well, it is special.  I love it for all the hard work that went into it, for all the wonderful hours I have spent with a very dear friend, all the tears and laughter we shared getting through it and I love the colors I chose.


Thank you to these people for helping me make this quilt:

Hillside Stitches 
4407 E 480 Rd
Pryor, OK  74361
918-434-5612

You did an amazing job quilting my precious quilt!  I have never been disappointed in their work and dedication to our art.

Claudia Plett for helping us through the author's mistakes and for hand-stitching the binding for me since my hands don't work so well.  I have only one question for you - how in the world do you make those itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie perfect stitches?  You did an amazing job and I can only aspire to be as good as you are!  I can't wait for you to join our Wednesday group so you can share some of your wisdom!

Sharon for taking me on this amazing adventure; for sharing the laughter, the frustrations, the tears, the curses, the miles, the celebrations - and finally the success!  We will remember the adventure for a lifetime - don't you think?

I must say this;  Last I heard, Sharon had decided so much blood, sweat and tears have gone into her quilt that she just might need to keep this for herself!  Personally, I think she has the knack now - she needs to make the another one for her friend!

And finally, thanks to Eleanor Burns and Sue Bouchard who inspired Sharon to start the Underground Railroad Sampler!

And we forgive you for the mistakes - it added to our adventure!   ;-) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks amazing! Just remember how much your favorite sister loves quilts :) Love you, Sis! Love, Shari (P.S. I can't comment on your blog under my ID cause it won't let me)