Saturday, March 26, 2011

Gulf Coast Exploreum


Remember me telling you that Steph and Raelee came over to go to Mobile?  Well, supposedly they came over to go to the Exploreum, but I think they really came over for the crawfish.  Heck, would you expect Steph to make a 3 hour trip for bugs or mudbugs?  Lol... 


We did take punkin' to the science center because of the bug display.  I had seen billboards all over advertising it, and we all know how much Raelee loves bugs, so when the girls got here, off to Mobile we went:



Quite honestly we were disappointed in the bug display.  The only thing great about it, was a half dozen HUGE bugs:


You know, speaking of the caterpillars that I said nothing about, be sure and check out what has happened in Steph and Raelee's yard!


The big bug heads were interesting to say the least:

A bee head:


A dragon fly head:



And a mosquito head:

Did I get those right?  I think so...


Raelee had fun playing with this grass hopper.  She squatted down:



And when it hopped she did to!


She did lots of fun experiments there, but I won't show them all to you. I think you can see she had a great 'school' day:





We went home that night, completely beat by an exciting 2 days, but punkin' had to take care of her turtle.  We tried to figure out what kind of turtle it was, and I actually remembered to take a picture of it to the exploreum.  I asked the girl there if she knew.  Of course she did - she politely looked at it and exclaimed it was a... water turtle.  

Well DUH!  So much for scientific names... lol... 

So I am challenging you, can you tell me what kind it is?  And don't tell me an aluminum pan turtle either!  Lol...




Raelee has since let it go in the bayou behind Mr Jude's house.  I am sure she will watch for it to come back and thank her for saving its life and not allowing it to become Turtle Sauce Picante!  Until then, she will just have to wonder if snapper made it in the wild murky yonder!


Finally, the morning they left, we made a mad dash to the beach to build a sand castle; but first the girls fed the birds:




Played in the sand:



And then we built a sand castle:



Everyone will be happy to know we did not see even one oil blob on the beach!  It is ready for visitors; pristine as a gulf coast beach can be, silky soft sand and wide open spaces - Mississippi is ready for visitors. Please come back to the beaches.  We had a great time!

And finally, all too soon it was time to leave; time for us to leave the beach, and time for them to head home.  Punkin' had dance class later that day.  Sunning on the beach to dance.  Crawfish and critters, science and bugs... We had a great two days with the girls.  

Thanks for coming - it sure made for an easy few days.  Loved having you!


What am I doing now to fill my time?  Just wait and see.  I promise this will be a real eye roller... lol... desperate times call for desperate measures.  Lisa... errr... LaRaine, this next post will be for you  :-)

I will tell you more, but first you must promise not to laugh...  Promise??

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

We had fun too! Thanks for having us.
At the top of my blog, there is a link that says "Monarch Project" or something like that. All of the newest pictures are there. I add to it daily.