Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Thompson Road Nurseries

Do you love orchids like I do?  Singapore is famous for their orchids; they grow everywhere and they have hectares and hectares (the metric way of saying acres and acres) of nurseries for them.  I love orchids, but in the states they were too expensive for me to have a lot of them.   Heck, I didn't even dare buy one because I was afraid I would pay too much for it only to kill it.

Steve started buying me orchid bouquets in the grocery store and I have to tell you, he started the passion.  I now have to have orchids in our place blooming all the time!  

Buying them in the store was not expensive by comparison of the states prices, but I once went to a wet market and got a bouquet for much less (thanks for that one Pam) than the ones at the store; which clued me in that we just might be paying too much for orchids...  soooo...

I started asking questions and a friend (thank you Debbi) told me about the Thompson Road Nurseries and suggested we went there.  We did, I bought orchids... but later, Steve suggested we went back and off we went.  And so that is how my orchid passion grew... now we make regular trips to Thompson Road to get orchids... and just about any other flower or plant you could want.

Thompson Road has a row of nurseries several blocks long:









Got the picture?  There are a LOT of plant nurseries!  


So we went and we bought...


The little orchid was $8, the violets were $3...


The tall orchids were $8:



The big orchid was $18:



And we bought a bouquet of orchids:


But it has a story... I bought 2 large bouquets of orchids thinking I would need that many to fill my vase.  Once I got home, I realized the vase was much too small to hold all the orchids I got, so I split them and put half in another vase.  That evening, we were having supper with friends (hi Pam and Larry) who brought me more orchids!  No worries - I LOVE orchids, so I added them to this vase, took some of the others out and put them in the other vase.  Now, in all honesty, I probably had 3 vases worth as these were jam packed, but you do what you gotta do... so here I am enjoying my orchids.  How much did my two bouquets cost?

$18!!

So I got:
1 large outside orchid
5 medium sized orchids  (I picked up 2 for Debbi)
1 small orchid
2 African violets
1 beautiful vase
Orchid food
Charcoal to put the orchids in
2 huge bouquets of orchids

Total bill for the day?  About $80!

Pretty good huh?

So haul yourself up to Thompson Road and shop til you drop!  Don't forget to walk into all of the cold boxes - you won't believe what they have in there!  I only saw one that was marked for staff only - all the rest are open to the public.  

I suggest parking at one end and walking to the other, taking mental notes of prices and selection, then walking back and buying your loot along the way.  You will be blessed with loads of flowers blooming for you and brightening your days.

Be sure and take hubby along, you will need him to help carry your purchases - and believe me, you will have many.  Happy blooms to you!

Oh, and Steve, can we go to the orchid nurseries so we can find them for even less money?  I can't wait to see the thousands they must have... please?

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

Oh wow!!! You got a ton more plants since I have been there...and a ton more beautiful decorations too. You will treasure all of that when your time there comes to an end.