Monday, July 12, 2010

Lava Tube

What the heck is a lava tube anyway?  I went to Hawaii with a list of 'must sees' given to me from everyone who had ever been to Hawaii.  Unfortunately, if I had gotten to go to them all I would still be there... hmmm... come to think of it, maybe I should have given it my best shot!

Michelle said do not miss the lava tubes - and curiosity made me go.  Well, actually, my aunt plopped us in the car and we went - I really had no choice.  However, I had no idea what to expect. What the heck is a lava tube?  HERE is a link to explain it.  I read it and am still confused - but Steve will be the first to tell you that doesn't take much.  It is clear as mud - how does lava flow down a tube and not clog it up?  Still scratching my head on that one, but we went to the lava tube.

Entering it, it looked like a cave on the outside:



It did indeed look like a cave on the inside too:



Some parts were very dark:



But we saw light at the end of the tunnel:



And we found our way to the end of this tube:



We even took a picture of us in it:



I have to tell you, it was one of the most interesting and unique things about the trip.  Aunt Jacque told us about a guy that bought some property on the island sight unseen.  She said he saw real-estate advertised on the island and thought since it was Hawaii, he couldn't go wrong - it was actually just a piece of property, but it was in the village and he was excited.  He bought it without ever going to it.  Once he did though, he found it was chock full of lava tubes and totally useless  :-(   He still owns those tubes.

After having been on the island and having a much better idea what the land looks like, there is no way I would buy property there - even seeing it!  I can't imagine digging a hole under the dirt and greenery on the island - there is so much lava everywhere!!  Add  lava tubes, steam vents and hot glowing holes to that and it made it feel kinda eerie to be there, and I would surely not buy there.  We all knew my aunt was... well, never mind   ;-)... lol...  Anyway, it was much different than I ever could have imagined.  

Did I mention I froze my backside off while in Hawaii?  Ok, I *wish* I did, but *gasp* cold in Hawaii?!  It was cold there in the mornings, evenings and nights and often during the day you would get a bit of a chill.  It was also very windy - Aunt Jacque said it was the trade winds.  I would have never believed we would have needed a jacket there - but darned if I didn't have to go out and buy one - and jeans too  :-(  Shivered me timbers - it is definitely not like Singapore; hot in the morning, hotter during the day, hot in the evening and in fact it is hot in the middle of the night!  Have I ever said Singapore is hot?

So that is a lava tube.  We had a great time exploring that volcano.  Maybe we will drive around the island 'tomorrow'.  Are you ready to go to Hawaii yet?  How 'bout purchasing a nice piece of property?

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

How cool! I love the pics as usual and did you just set the timer on the one of you all or did someone else take it? I would wonder if lava was gonna come a flowing while I was down there. But it looks neat! Thanks for sharing!