Friday, December 4, 2009

Arab Quarters

On Wednesday we went to Arab Quarters.  I had some friends that were going there, and we had made arrangements to meet at the MRT.  Who knew the MRT had so many places to exit?  The funniest thing was that Raye had a friend meeting her there as well.  Steph and I were waiting on everyone to meet us and I had no idea Raye wasn't with her friend.  Steph and I patiently watched for Jacqui and Raye at the MRT.  While we waited, we saw a lady pacing and looking around anxiously.  I thought momentarily it might be Raye's friend, but then I thought no they would be coming together.  

When Raye called to see where we were, she said her friend Andrea was already there and should be near us - and I knew immediately it was that woman.  I yelled across the way "ANDREA!  Come over here!"  She looked all around, back behind her then looked at me and said "ME?"  Still talking to Raye, I said "Yes!  You!"  and then motioned for her to come over.  I told her I had Rae on the phone and I introduced myself after we hung up - and she still seemed a little rattled.  We all had a good laugh over that one.  Andrea probably thought I was insane stranger that knew her name... Ok, no ratting me out... lol... 

The girls were shopping and we all separated for a bit before meeting up at Arab Quarters.  
I am not the best guide, but when I get lost, I find pretty things:





We passed up some of the drinks:



And passed on the snacks as well:


And I still remembered to look up:


And over:


We found some great dining room chairs:


And we finally figured our way out of there (we called a taxi) and met up with the girls again to go to a Turkish restaraunt:



We ate yummy food:


Ok, so I don't know what we ate, but the red stuff was good and the poofed bread was good.  I also ordered some marinated chicken on skewers and it was... good.  Raelee liked the red stuff, the bread, her chicken wings, mommy's rice, my rice, mommy's steamed veggies and my steamed veggies.  

I told you we cannot get enough food in her!

This is some of my favorite stuff in Singapore, the red lacquer - I simply love it. 


Hey, what happened to that beautiful pearly shimmer it has?

 It is almost as pretty as the Peranikan dishes that I love:




I know, two opposite ends of the spectrum, but aren't they all pretty?

Raelee found a wooden flute to buy:


And mommy taught her how to play:


We don't know how it happened (could it be all those shops on Arab Street?) but we got separated from the others.  We were sad, but we connected by e-mail later and all was ok.  We ended up going back to the Malaysian Heritage Center - Steph's first time, but my third (?).  It is a great place to visit and Steph got to see first hand how the master makes batik.  He does amazing work and even sells them to the prime minister or president (don't remember which - I have slept since then) of Singapore:   


Steph found a pomegranate growing in the wild:


Good eye, Steph!

I found a good use of 55 gallon drums that my neighbor in the states collects:


And we found a shop selling hookah pipes:


Don't know what the guy and the gal on the right were doing... lol... but I wanted you to see the hookahs above them so I couldn't chop them out.

And I love seeing the bottom of the dresses the Arabs wear:




I love the Arab Quarters and the area.  Always lots to see and do - and plenty to take pictures of.


And the neat trinkets you find (like the doll house rugs) are great too.


1 comment:

surprisetriplets said...

Sounds like Little India was a little overwhelming:( I'm glad Raelee found more dresses and got lots to eat.

Love you lots.