Monday, August 10, 2009

2009 Baton Rouge Hot Air Balloon Festival Championship

Last week, Steph invited me to go to the hot air balloon festival with her. I was excited! I love going to see the beautiful balloons lifting high in the sky - it is breath taking. Liz and Danny were still very undecided as to whether they were coming, but I knew if they did, we could all pile in the car or van and go together to enjoy the fun.

Liz and Danny did indeed come (YAY!) and off we went:




We found a great place to sit - but how could we sit?



No, your phone isn't in these pictures sister (Steph) :-(

pR is always super excited to go ask the balloonists for balloon cards - they are the same size as baseball cards and have each individual balloon on them. Every balloonists has one of his own balloon to share with all the kids:




pR was brave enough to let one balloonist open the burner to shoot flames high up in the air - with her in the basket! She did great although she thought it was LOUD! It is a good thing there was no envelope (balloon) attached or we would still be chasing her!




One had writing on the bottom, making me wish our son would call his mom and say hi :-(



...waiting patiently still...

*she wonders if anyone even reads this blog*


After the collection of the balloon cards, we waited patiently for the sky divers. Finally, falling from the sky, here they came. One carried the American flag complete with stripes:



One carried the Louisiana flag:




And one came with the POW flag:




... as we solemnly watched.

It is good to have a reality check...


Soon the balloons were starting to take shape:





Finally, the best part of all - the night glow:





The balloons did not get to assend as the weather was not right for it, but after a horrible lightening storm just a bit before, we were certainly glad they were even able to glow!


Then we got to see the divers again - well almost :-)



Can you imagine falling at night and with those sparkles coming up in your face? It was an amazing sight.

Finally, the finale - the fireworks:







We had a wonderful time, as always. I am so glad I was able to do this - and on Singapore National Day - only I was here in the states. I tried to close my eyes and imagine I was sitting on the balcony in Singapore with my hubby watching all the entertainment, looking at the flowers the guys brought me and enjoying his bbq.

It didn't work - but my sister and brother being here, being with Steph and pR, complete with a hug from pR made it all better.

*back to previously scheduled programming.

Remodeling

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time.
The fireworks there were probably better that the ones here for National Day.
& yes, a bunch of folks read this blog, just look at your counter, it is over 10,000 now.

Love
Steve

Cajunrose said...

Great pictures :) I'm glad you guys got to go!

surprisetriplets said...

I'm back to reading your blog after 10 days of slow internet service. It will take a little while for me to catch up, but don't wait around for new entries on my account. I love reading your blog updates!!!