Sunday, July 12, 2009

Life in the Fast Lane

Driving down the interstate yesterday, as Steve pulled out to pass someone, I realized our lives parallel driving. Sometimes it is nice and relaxing while sitting at a stop light, other times it is easy going - like driving down a highway on a Sunday afternoon. Other times it is life in the fast lane, racing past people to get to your destination. I guess that is what our life is like now. Life in the fast lane; everything is happening so fast I feel like I just need it to slow for a few minutes and let me catch up. I think even when I am sleeping.

Yesterday we went looking at campers. We found one we like for the most part:



It is pretty:



It has plenty of storage:



A place for for a computer:



And I like the kitchen area:



It is a nice camper and will work well for us for what we need it for. Since we (I) will be living in it until the house is finished, it is nice and roomy with one bedroom. The table makes another small bed, but it is not convenient. We had much discussion over this issue as we often take the girls with us camping often when we go; therefore we did not get pR and Stephenie's blessing on this.

Last night I thought about buying it all the way home. I worried about borrowing the money we would have to borrow to buy it not knowing how much out of pocket this whole fiasco is going to cost us. I know we will have to borrow more money to make the house our home again. I thought about not being able to take the girls with us - that makes my heart ache.

The reality is we are not camping right now, we need a place to live - and this suits us fine for that goal. This morning, still pondering the camper Steve and I talked it over. We have decided that we will probably go with this camper and resell it after all this mess is over. We are still commuting between Singapore and here so it does not make sense to buy a camper for the long term goal of camping when he retires. We know we need one for our girls too, but for now, we just need a place to live. We can buy the perfect camper for our girls when we come home for good. Until then, unless something more wonderful comes along, this is what we will buy. The money issues had me concerned, but I have worked it out in my mind and I know God will help with the little stuffs; He always provides well for us.

Right now we are living in this pop-up:



It is a very large pop-up, but not good for long term staying in it, and certainly not good for hurricane season. So with regrets we will have to close our long time friend (we have had it since 1993 and have many wonderful memories with it) and store it while we live in a larger camper.

Until we get the new one, this is our life; camping in the above camper and 'living' outside in our dining area.



Life is not bad right now; just the fast lane and I know we will be able to pull over again soon. I am counting on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though just an unknown stranger from the internet, I thought I'd share:

My parents had to live through a comparable time of 'improvised living' though because of much less dramatic circumstances. In retrospect, they now view that time as a special memory where the good times shone much brigther...

And maybe the following will help pick you up a bit as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHgahrjsqmY

Best wishes for a speedy rebuilding process

Ben