Friday, May 15, 2009

Can I Brag (and vent) for Just a Minute?



Meet Megan. This picture was taken a few years ago - I don't have a recent one. She, along with her three siblings have been through hell and back. All of them were pulled from their family, put in foster homes, and finally put in our home to live for a few years - and then chose with guidance from the judge to live with a natural parent. We accepted that with the love for them to continue to grow and be nourished by their natural family.

Well, things did not turn out to be as easy as we hoped for them (do they ever?) and Megan ended up being put in a detention center. How they can possibly put a 17 year old girl that owns her own car, pays for her own insurance, works 35+ hours a week AND holds a 3.25+ GPA during all of this into a detention center is beyond my comprehension; but it happened.

She fought for, and won, emancipation. A family opened their home for Megan to move into, she haggled for her records from the detention center and finally recieved them. She transferred with just a few weeks left of school, finished the last month of HS in the only high school she had been in long enough to claim as her own, went back to work - and graduated tonight with a 3.25+ GPA.

Sadly, I had no idea she was graduating until yesterday, therefore I could not have gone. I just got in from the 24 hour flight and am too tired to fight that huge assed truck of my hubby's to get it to Arkansas. My Camry is too sick and frankly, I am too sick to drive anyway - but had I had an additional 24 hours, I would have made it.

Now comes the crappy part and I need to vent. Her family in Arkansas could not bother to go to her High School graduation. All had 'plans' that were too important to reschedule to go to a once in a lifetime event for Megan. Here are the reasons: Brother had to work. Sister had to pack for a paintball game for her hubby. Mom had to... heck... I don't even know... and frankly, I don't care. What matters is they were not there. Not. For. Megan's. High School. Graduation.

Jeremy and Cheyenne could not be there. I could not be there. Ruth was coming in, Steph and Todd could not be there. Frantic and broken hearted after Jeremy told me, I called Liz. My sister gets in the car, goes to the florist then drove to Arkansas on a last minute detail. She was the only person present at graduation for Megan - and she took the dozen roses we bought for her with a huge hug. They went out to eat and had a wonderful night - except for a phone call cussing her out for having the audacity to cry on Jeremy's shoulder.

HELLLOOOO??? HELL FREAKING HELLOOOO?? Where were YOU when SHE NEEDED YOU?? Too busy working? Messaging Jeremy? Or packing hubby for a paintball game? Who the heck IS she supposed to lean on?

I love them unconditionally; each and every one of those kids. No matter what they do today, I might be pi*#ed but I will still love them tomorrow. However, I am so broken hearted for Megan and disappointed in those that could not be bothered. How would they have felt if Megan had not gone to that wingding wedding? How would they have felt if she had done the same to them? She didn't graduate in Georgia folks, she graduated a mile or two from where they live!

It cannot be taken back. Tomorrow is not the next HS graduation. It was tonight. It is over and done.

I love you Megan. I am super proud of your perserverance, determination and grades. Jeremy, Cheyenne, Steph, Todd, Uncle Steve and I are sad we could not be there for you. I promise, if there was any way in hell we could have, we would have been. I hope we were, however, a happy voice on the other end of that phone line loving you today and embracing your success. I am sorry you were hurt. I was glad when we could put the giggle back in your night and at least try to nurse some of your wounds. Thank you, Liz, for being there for Megan tonight. The only 'family' that had the guts and could make the time to go make her night special.

And did I say I am proud of you Megan?? I love you so very much and I am so darned proud of you. Make your dreams come true; chin up, race into the future and make it happen and do it with pride. You have earned every ounce of success you earn. You can do anything and you have surely proved it to us.

Megan is working, trying to recover from the ordeal she has been through while deciding how she will make her culinary dreams come true. She has a temporary home, no car and a job at a fast food place. Until then, prayers for her are welcome - and if you would love to send M good wishes, please feel free to send them to just4youbyme@yahoo.com.

I will forward them on to one hell of a special girl.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Amen.

I couldn't have said it better myself, and I think we are all feeling exactly that way. It's weird being so happy and angry at the same time. She is a mountain mover today, and if anyone is jealous and petty because of the praise she's getting -- that's too bad (for them).

Rycon Payne said...

Megan, I am very proud of you. I am sorry if anything I said tonight caused an unreasonable reaction that had a negative effect on your night, that was not my intention. I hope your night, in the end, turned out to be one full of pride, love, and *fun*. You have the world at your fingertips, and the freedom now to go grab it. So don't let this moment pass you by, show everyone around you just how much they underestimated you.

And do it all with a smile on your face, pride in your heart, and a belief in yourself. You are strong, no one can deny that of you at this point.

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart. I have never even met this young lady but from the years of hearing of her bravery and her constant striving to be the best I am very proud that she had this milestone in her life. Congrads Megan, I may not know you but I know you through Euvah and you girl are the bomb!!!

A friend in California,
ang

Anonymous said...

Megan

I am so very proud of you.

Congratulations on successfully reaching this milestone in your life.

You could have easily given in and given up, but you did not do that.

Instead you stuck to your guns, stayed faithful to yourself and have kept your eyes on your dreams.

Megan, you can do anything that you set your sights on and put your heart into, this you have already proven.

I am very sorry that we were not there to support you, to hug you and to show you how proud of you we are in this important achievement in your life.

Did I tell you that I am proud of you? Well, I am proud.

I have total faith that you will achieve you goals and have a happy, successful life.



I love you

Uncle Steve (or Dad if it fits)

Can you believe that Megan graduated with a 3.25+ GPA after being put in a detention center? Lets see, she was thrown in a detention center for what? She was making As & Bs, had a job, paid for her own car, paid for her own phone (and her brothers), gave money to her dead beat “parents”, but reported being beaten by her “model citizen” step father! Oh yes, she stood up for her self! So, she gets thrown in a detention center. Something is bad wrong with the system!

applesofgold said...

Dear Megan,

Steph had told me some of your story a while back when we were riding home from Houma one day. When I got home that day, I simply wrote "M" in the front of my Bible as a reminder to pray for you, and other struggling out there. And pray, I did. Seeing this post made my heart so glad. I am so stinkin proud of you, and I've never even met you! You have proven that nothing is going to stand in your way!

Congratulations on your graduation! You are awesome.