Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thoughts for Today

I went out into our hall this morning, looking out the 'back' side of our building through some little alcoves. What a contrast it is from our building and view from the balcony we enjoy.

Ours building is a beautiful condo; our flat is small, but nice.



Ok, so it is not so beautiful with the metal construction 'fence' on the right side, but it is very impressive looking at it from across the river. I will take THAT picture soon... lol...

Our condo has "good Feng shui, good feng shui" the taxi drivers assure us - which is an ancient Chinese system believed to utilize the laws of both the laws of Heaven (astronomy) and earth (geography) to help one improve life by receiving positive energies. Feng shui is used in picking the "perfect spot" in location and axis in time. So our condo has the perfect energy to improve our life by the way it is facing and the way the air flows.

So as I walked out of our nice flat, I look out towards the 'back' side of our condo. This picture is taken from our upper floor hall, just on the opposite side of our building - not the side our balcony faces. This is public housing provided (with payments from the 'owners') by the Housing and Development Board of Singapore.


Housing precincts (HBD'S) in Singapore are clusters of public housing blocks arranged as a single unit. Comprising of an average of 10 blocks per precinct; they are grouped together to form a neighborhood of sorts. It gives the people a sense of security; not by building fences, but by building neighborhoods with community shopping, parks and some even have car parks – mostly self contained in the fact that neighbors do not have to leave the area to live quite comfortably.

I have never been in an HBD unit, but I do know there are different sizes and levels of housing - and some say the ones they have been to are quite nice and big inside. Living next to this one, we occasionally go over to it to the ‘hawker’ center to eat – at least we did until they shut it down to remodel it. We feel quite comfortable and welcome there – and, of course, the food is delicious.

As I was looking out across the HBD unit, I came to the realization that this scene is quite normal here - most HBD units do have 'clothes poles' set out the window on sunny days. Most are compact buildings with many people living in them, and most people living in them are quite humble and thankful to have them. This is far different than what I am used to in the states. LIFE here is quite different than it is in the states; in a good way. It opens my eyes to the world around me.

As I go back into our condo, my next thought is that my laundry needs to be transferred from my washer to my dryer - and my next thought? How blessed we are to even have a washer and dryer when our next door neighbors might not be as fortunate. I hung the few things in the washer instead of tossing them in the dryer - maybe I should live humbly for now.

No comments: