Monday, June 9, 2008

Finding Communication












Ok, so we are going to Singapore.


My first fear is loosing track of the happenings with friends and family while we are there. Don't get me wrong, I know they will continue to live life and function perfectly fine without me. It is ME that wants to keep in touch with them. So I started looking at phone plans.


Yes, my current cell phone is a world phone (surprise to me!), but at several dollars a minute with AT&T, that ain't happening. Most plans I found were with me calling other countries - not living in another county calling the US.


When I asked Steve about it, he said most people there use SKYPE, so I googled it. Not sure about that yet - still need to do some reading and researching, but it seems to be internet tied. I am not really thrilled about that either.

I started searching for other alternatives. I googled (and found) a moving to Singapore site and read that someone took their Vonage phone from the US to Singapore and it works just like local calls, and only costs 2 cents a minute. Need to do more checking into this, but it sure sounds handy!  (Found out later - way to go!  LOVED it!)


There are so many things to consider with this move. Connecting with family is the most important to me. Of course I know I can e-mail, but hearing voices... there is no comparison!


I will continue to research this - does anyone else have suggestions?

No comments: