Thursday, January 8, 2015

So Many Changes...

Behind us, in front of us... so many changes!

Surprise!  I am back!

One of our changes:  We bought cattle!  Pregnant cattle to be exact.  Cows.  'Heifers' we are told.  And we bought 4.  Yes, just four, but we are ecstatic!  They are due to 'calve' the end of February.  Except (BIG) Bertha... 

Meet our new critters:  


Bertha, Lucy, Hazel and Maddi... in order here.  

The two black ones are full angus and they white faced are angus/hereford mix.  We LOVE having cattle!!  Steve is already talking about leasing more land and getting MORE CATTLE!  That makes my heart sing!  I love farm life.  :-)  It was where I was meant to be.


Here are a couple of the daddy's: 





Ok, so he is kinda proud of himself and took up the whole frame, but you get the idea... see the others in the background?  They are our 'cow-baby daddies'.  These are Gelbvieh/Red Angus BULLS.  Can't wait to see what they produce!



The not so good part of having cattle was hauling them here:



Yep, it was my job to clean that mess!  OH MY GOSH!  Was I glad my smeller is permanently broken!  Lol... but 

 I got 'er done and returned the trailer better than I found it - (Rule #1 in my book):




Steve is now talking about buying a bull to 'service' our cows.  We shall see what comes of that!  If he does, I think I will call the bull "Stud Muffin"! 


Now, let's talk about Bertha:



Did I say enough?

No?

Poor Bertha!  She is either further along than the other 3 or we are having one HUGE calf - or TWINS!

Can you imagine another 6 weeks of her growing?  OH!  And did I say I took this picture two weeks ago - so at that time, she had 8 more weeks of growing!  At this point, she can't move to me fast enough for me to take a picture, or shall I say I can't stand outside long enough to wait for her to move to me!  It is COLD outside!

POOR BERTHA;  HUGE AND COLD!


And this is what us new 'cattle farmers' are faced with:


And temps are dropping!

Brrr!

Poor 'cattle farmer wanna be's'!  




No comments: