Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My New Truck

At the end of January, we decided it was time to get me a new vehicle.  I have a 2000 Camry that I love, and I would drive it forever.  How do you give up a good friend like that?   Megan needed a car to go to work, so we decided to let her use the Camry until she can afford her own car, and since Steve had been after me to get a new car f-o-r-e-v-e-r, he decided it was the perfect excuse and time to do so.

I wasn't going to blog about this because I have had some comments from a 'friend' that has made a few snipey remarks that I can afford this and that because we have all kinds of money.  We don't have all kinds of money, we have just saved for our dreams and we decided to start spending some of the money while we are still alive.  (Sorry, kids, we are spending some of your inheritance ;-) We have done without for many, many years so we can get some of the things we have dreamed of and I will be darned if one more person is going to make me feel guilty about our (good) choices and (sound) decisions.  We have done without for years and years, ma'm, so we can now enjoy our (nearly) retirement years!  

So I am going to blog about my new truck!

I struggled with what to get...  I knew without a doubt I would buy a Toyota.  Everyone knows the struggles we had with our Chevy Astro - the van from hell that Chevy would not back up.  If you don't, here is a quick run down...  It was bought new and by the time it was 2 years old, it had left me on the side of the road more times than I could count (including in Washington DC in July when the air conditioner broke and could not be repaired for weeks), and been in the shop for misc things over a hundred times.  No it could not be claimed as a lemon because it has to be numerous times for a couple of things, not numerous times for dozens of things.  If Steve could have taken a bomb to it, he would have.  We lost our backsides with that van and decided we would never own another GMC product.  Ever.  My next vehicle was a Toyota and I have over 200,000 miles on it and I would not hesitate to take it across country today.  It has been a terrific car and since I have taken care of it, it is in very good shape and looks great inside and out!  I am sold on Toyota!

I would love a new Camry, except I don't like the new body styles of the Camry.  I looked at the other options, and had sorta decided to go with a 4-runner.  We need a 4 wheel drive out here in the sticks, so my options were limited - another reason for not getting a Camry.  The salesman made the mistake of letting me drive a 4-runner that was not a standard 4 runner - it was jacked up and ran like a tank.  I told Steve there was no way I would buy that.  It was later that I found out that it was not a normal one - completely customized with something or other that made it run so nasty.

Anyway, I decided to try the Tacoma.  Instantly, I loved it - I am sitting high to see the traffic, and it rides nicely.  I stewed on it for a bit, not knowing if I wanted to go with a truck or not, and finally bit the bullet and we bought it.  I think I love it!



There is one thing I have a problem with - the running boards we put on it.  Look at how close they are to the bottom of the truck!  


They are useless to help me get IN the truck!  I have short legs - and this is a high truck!  Anyway, Steve is going to lower the running boards - then I know I will love it.  We have ordered a cover for the bed, will order a grill guard and I should be good to go.  If we get it customized a little at a time, I can close my eyes on what it is costing us.  However, it will be my forever vehicle - at least forever as long as I can climb into it!


Steve did another 'honey do' this past weekend to make this place ours.  He hung all of our wind chimes.  The ones that won't break are under the lean-to:



The others are on our front porch. Picture later - not today.  I am pooped from washing the truck!  Too bad I couldn't hear the chimes though:


It's kinda windy here!  March winds... Whew!  Even I don't like this wind!

Off to take my new truck to T-town.  I'm lovin' it! 


Oh, and watch for all of our green backs to blow out of the bed - maybe you will see them - I haven't!

2 comments:

Noelle Reese said...

Are you kidding me? You can do with your money as you please. I can not imagine commenting on a girlfriend's finances! I love your truck! We ned a pic of you peeking over the hood! :)

cajunsis said...

Thanks, N, I wish I were kidding you. Can you believe it? I will try to get a pic with me next to it soon... Lol...