Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Projects

I am so danged proud of myself I am about to pop a button!  I finished my batik quilt top and now I can move on to other projects - isn't that awesome?  Here are a few I have lined up...


Have you ever seen a material that took your breath away when you first set eyes on it?  Well, maybe not, but a quilter or someone what sews knows the feeling.  This is a Moda fabric line called "Lovely" - when I first saw it, I knew I wanted a spring/summer quilt from the line.  Can't wait to get started on it, but it is in the waiting que... lol...  That is for you Singapore girls!



This material below is going to be for one of our grandsons... I might get it done for NEXT Christmas.  I don't know if he will like it or not, but he will certainly remember I love him when he gets it!  It is going to have red hair just like his!  This is in que as well...



The fabrics below are the fabrics that I will make a "Turning Twenty" twin sized quilt for the extra bedroom.    I think it is mighty bright... but that doesn't bother me because it is cheery.  I love the colors;  I just hope I do when I turn twenty fat quarters into a twin quilt.  We shall see... and it, of course is in que as well!



Several things are slowing my quilt making progress.  My niece is staying with us for a bit and I am afraid she is seriously afflicted with the quilt bug.  I bought her some material that she picked out, she bought a pattern called "Charming Fractions" and off she went.  With a little direction (and a lot of time on my sewing machine), she is getting close to having her first quilt top done!




Finally, the real reason my progress on my above projects are so slow is a special one.  25+ years ago, I started a quilt... and had no earthly idea what I was doing with no guidance.  I messed up - I came out too short on the lining (batting) of the quilt - which was actually a blanket.  We didn't have money for the batting at the time, so I used a blanket - I never said I was the brightest crayon in the box, but if granny Daisy could do it - so could I, right?  I struggled with it forever, fretted over it and finally, I just tossed it up in the top of the closet.  Steve and I BOTH had spent hours and hours hand stitching the prestamped print - but I figured I had totally screwed it up and being the perfectionist that I am, I couldn't bear to look at it.  
When we moved here, it surfaced again.  I have an honest to God sewing/craft/scrap room, and an honest to God shelf to put all of my material on.  I sorted and stacked until I was blue in the face, but it is finally organized.  On the shelf sat my unfinished quilt (along with an owl that I found that needs to be finished) and  it started working its magic on me.  I pulled the quilt out to see just how bad I had messed up - and now that I have a little knowledge behind me, I can actually see how to finish it!  It won't be perfect, but it WILL be perfectly finished.  So this is what I am working on now:


It will be pretty, won't it?  I promise not to who you the mistakes if you promise not to look when I show it off as a FINISHED project!


Well, I am off to cook a pot roast and while I do it, I will help Steve move things from the lean-to into the now finished shop!  Progress feels good...  :-)

Next in que for him?  Carport(s) for our boat/truck/camper.  *sigh*

And that is it for today... 

1 comment:

DInne said...

I think that you are doing a great job wish i could make the time
Yes your quilt does look good