Sunday, August 7, 2011

Just Ramblings This Morning...

Yesterday, I woke startled from a nap in the afternoon.  I heard a loud noise!  I jumped and ran out of our bedroom door - the one that leads out to the back yard - and listened.  I was dreaming... It wasn't what I thought at all - no rain.  Everything was normal; the sun was bearing down on our brown grass, the heat unbearable and no, there was not thunder as I had dreamed.  Quickly closing the door from the blaring heat, I went back into the house and told Steve that it must have been a dream - it was so darned hot out there, I was sure you could cook eggs on the grass.

As the afternoon wore on, I asked him if we could go to supper to eat fried catfish - something I have been craving for a while now.  We got ready, headed out the door and of course, we had to figure out where our one GPS was - we are still not familiar with the area enough to get places without its occasional help.  Frustrated, I said to him "Let's just go to Bass Pro (my favorite place to shop if I have to shop) and get a GPS - sharing one is a pain in the last!"  So off we went to Bass Pro.  We can eat after we get one.

 
While Steve was checking out the boats (he is itching to get one now), I looked up and saw this:


What a breath taking picture - and of course, all I had was my cell phone!  Not bad for a cell phone though is it?  I LOVE it!

Steve checked out all the boats, we registering for a 'free' tour of a Lodge in Branson for $100 for a three day stay (yes, you read that right, free for $100), and then we finally found the GPS - and I heard it  - again!  And I was awake this time!  It was not a dream!

THUNDER!!  HUGE bursts of thunder!  I raced past the checkout to the door and what did I see??


Oh my goodness!  The most amazing thing in months!  Huge downpours of rain and wind!  Everyone was standing staring out at the unbelievable sight and praising God for sending us this wash!


Driving away once it slowed down, we just enjoyed the sights, but one of them was a thunderstorm in the distance - no this was not a tornado even though it looks like it, it was blessed rain:

And finally, we got home and raced out to see if we had gotten as much as Tulsa did:
Not even close, but I am not complaining - 1/5 of an inch is better than none, right?  


So this morning I had to walk out and check our pond.  On the way, I was greeted by several of our 'borrowed' critters:





They were there waiting for their morning pets... Oh have I said I am loving this life?

At the pond, I found some more of my favorite things:


A BIG bullfrog and a wanna be big bullfrog!  Yeah, ask me if THAT made me happy!!  We hear them singing in the evenings and early in the mornings - but this is the first time I have proof that we have bullfrogs!  Yeppers, I am still smiling about this!  :-)


Walking through the pasture every day, I see these beautiful wildflowers blooming.  I have no earthly idea what they are, but the horses don't like them.  I do though  :-)  Anyone know what they are??


I looked up something similar that is called deer tongue, but it said livestock LOVE it.  This livestock doesn't - so I think I am on the wrong track.  Any detective help would be appreciated.


And finally, a giggle for the day.  Steve and I are trying to organize closets and such.  I came across a very old blanket he had when we first married.  Trying to determine who made it so I could match its electrical switches, I came across this label and it made me laugh.  Maybe it will put a smile into your day as well:


This would never go over these days, would it?

And so we are now down to deciding what we need to get to be as settled here as possible.  One of the  necessities we need is a 4 wheeler to get across the pasture if we need to in a hurry - or to carry corn to the other side of the pond to entice our deer to us.  Again, we are NOT doing this to hunt them this winter.  We are doing it so we can enjoy them - oh, and the silly brazillion turtles that share the corn with them!

So we need a 4 wheeler, Steve thinks we need a boat and he knows he needs a motorcycle, though I am not thinking 'need' is the word for any of these things.  We have worked so hard for so many years to tuck money away, it does not seem right to allow ourselves to spend it now.  I get the shivers even thinking of doing any spending esp after just buying the house (and with the economy the way it is)... but he says this is what we have been working for... and so the struggles of deciding what/when begin.

I am just happy as a lark sitting here, looking beyond our gold finches and hummingbirds, gazing out over our pasture and pond to watch our deer and the neighbor's horses.  It doesn't take much to make my life complete, does it?

Who in the world needs shopping when I have all of this?

No comments: