Thursday, June 2, 2011

Still Waiting...

We haven't heard anything from the real estate agent yet for news of the acceptance, rejection or counter-offer on the house, so we will patiently wait.  We were not surprised, we would have slept on the offer too before we made our decision.  After all, we didn't make the decision to make an offer on the house without a lot of thought either... so, we will wait. And hope.

Memorial Day weekend was this past weekend and we went to Steve's moms to help her lay the wreaths on all the graves of our loved ones.  She goes to every headstone and lays a wreath on it every year - so we decided we wanted to do it with her.  It is a custom a lot of Okies (people?) do, one that I 'enjoy' for lack of a better word.  As we traipsed all over Oklahoma and stopped at numerous headstones, I was able to listen to the family reminisce about their dads, moms, hubbys, aunts and uncles.  It was great listening to the stories they shared; some with laughter, some with tears in their eyes...  Such a nice way to remember those you love.

Mother lives in the south forty - which means WAY out in the country.  It is harvest time - a time when all the wheat has dried out and the combines start humming in the fields getting the harvest in.  This year there has been little rain so the wheat is not tall like it normally is, but it is still beautiful to look at and listen to.  When wheat blows in the wind, it has a crisp swaying rattle - it is nice to sit on the porch and listen and watch as it sways and gently clatters.



The deep colors of the soil and grass make a nice contrast to the golden wheat colors:



Random trees in the fields make a pretty picture; mother said she always loved this tree so one day Rod bought it for her - I am sure he bought the property it came on, but I will just let her think he bought the tree  ;-)


While we were outside planting new flowers around mother's new house, the neighbor's combines came out and took a cutting of wheat to see if it was dry enough:



I guess it was, because soon there were two combines:

And soon came a grain cart to offload the grain:



Rod (Steve's step-dad) and Steve stood and discussed how things were progressing - they do this so well:



And while I stood watching the combines, I contemplated the end of the Trail of Tears... reading about it in school so many years ago and still this moment caught in time takes my breath away:



While driving around looking for head stones, we passed this sign on the side of a brick building:


Love those old time memories...


And one last memory; when I was young, I was raised with 4 boy cousins for a few years.  We would fight like cats and dogs and would grab anything in our path to sling at each other.  I remember taking these balls off of the evergreen trees and hurling them at the guys... while standing at the cemetery, I looked at the tree and thought about my long lost cousins - if they had been there, I would have hurled a couple at them... but two have passed away one two are too far away:



Anyway, those are my thoughts today.  I am going to finished owls today and ship them off.  They are all adorable - I will take pictures tomorrow.  Until then...

We wait... 

No comments: