Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ocean Springs, Yarn and Fun Things

I know, I didn't blog yesterday like I thought I would, but I was out enjoying lunch with a friend.  And packing - getting ready to move on!  And walking.  I do that every morning.  While I walk, I am counting our little baby calves and enjoying them.


This little guy, "T-Bone" sees me and takes off running to the fence to check me out while I am walking.  Some mornings he walks with me until his mommy bellows, then he heads back to mom, but he does so still watching me.  I wonder what he finds so intriguing?



This is "Porter".  Porter (his last name is House) is going to be one big bull when he grows up!  This is the guy that watches the bulls fighting and nearly kills himself and everyone in his path to get the best view possible.  Thankfully, today they seem to be not butting heads so he can keep up with me.  His friend in the background on the right has gnat problems - we all do here.  Those little gnats have TEETH.  I know they do!



And this is "Ribeye".  She is indifferent and just curious.  Her mom watches her like a hawk so every time she almost gets interested, she gets royally fussed and has to go back to mom.  She did however, find a candy wrapper yesterday and lick it - nearly til the writing came off.  It looked like it was a Reese's wrapper, so I think she will deliver chocolate milk when she grows up!



Please ignore Ms. "Damn That Gnat".  She was mooing she was so mad that those gnats kept biting her.  She must have tender leather, because she is always slapping at them, scratching and trying to bite them.  But ignore her a minute... look behind her at Mrs. Mean Moma staring me down.  She has something to tell me - and I believe it was "Stay away from my newborn twins - I had a rough night and I will kick your last!"  She would not turn her head away for the longest time - she wanted to be sure I wasn't messing with her or her new babies.  I did see one of them born, but not the second one.  I even saw mommy nudge one up later and enjoyed watching her make the calf learn to walk.  So very cute!


So now you have seen all the babies born since I have been here - unless we had any new additions last night.  Porter is my favorite - he is so interested in everything I do, I feel so loved!  Lol...


Yesterday I went to Ocean Springs, Mississippi and found a couple great stores. One was a yarn (and specialty gift) store.  Steph, I wish I had known about it while you were here - it is a great store!  You would have LOVED it.  Maybe you can come back through here sometime and check it out!


This is name of the store and the storefront:



She has a oodles of yarn:



Of all colors and textures:


Aren't the yarns wonderful?  She has a large selection of local artists work and gifts as well.  She was telling me about classes she has too - crafty classes.  If you are in the area, be sure to stop in and say hi.  

Here is the information you need to know:

Kathleen's Fiber Arts
630 Washington Ave
Ocean Springs, Mississppi  39564
(228)818-6666
kbrownvc@yahoo.com


And while you are in Ocean Springs find this sign:



Walk in to enjoy an old fashioned drug store:



And if you look to the left, you can take a break at this old time soda fountain:



Remember when the Drs used to give 'prescriptions' for ice cream cones at the local soda fountain?  Dr Tracewell used to do that with us... come to think of it, I think Dr Miller did too!  Why don't they do that any more?  At this one, they serve ice cream, old fashioned peppermint sticks and great, friendly hospitality.  


Yesterday was a great relaxing day.  I enjoyed walking around with one of the girls here at the campground.  Now that we are moving, several women have moved in for a pipeline job.  I sure do enjoy having others around!  We walk every morning and browse the area in the afternoon when we don't have other plans - like doing laundry.

When we first moved here, the girl that runs the campground had to take us and show us where to park.  She didn't have any maps, but I didn't find that out until last week.  We were talking and she told me it was one of the many things she needed to figure out how to do.  It is a newer campground and she is just learning the ropes.  So I "Googled" it, then pulled up Google Earth and went about making a map for her.  I got site numbers and mapped it all out.  Really.  What else did I have to do?  This is what I came with:



Not bad for having zero experience making maps huh?  See sight 69?  That is us - at the top of the hill overlooking everyone - ♫ ♪ Where the wind comes whooshing down the plain, ♪ ♫  And the waving wheat, can sure smell sweet! ♪ ♫  .... oh wait!  That is Oklahoma!  I am not there yet.  Coulda fooled me!

And lastly...  It looks like we will be leaving here for Morgan City on Saturday morning. We have had several setbacks - Steve could not get sea water on the rig to run his commissioning (we think he has that taken care of), a leak in the sink in our camper (I will work on that today), brakes going out in Steve's truck and last but not least - I think Steve may have at the very least tendinitis in his arm, but it honestly sounds more like a worn out or torn rotator cuff.  He is in a lot of pain, not sleeping well, and otherwise exhausted.  He has gone for 7 weeks with only 3 days off, working 12-14 hour days.  It is a wonder he is still walking.  I worry about him.  Keep him in your thoughts and prayers, please.

What is up in your world?  Anyone still reading?


No comments: