Monday, March 7, 2011

Need a Knitter... in Person, Front and Center Please!

Yooo hooo!  Here I am!  Bet you wondered where I was, didn't  you?  Honestly, I have nothing to post about.  I am watching more TV than I ever have, knitting up a storm and running to the laundry mat to do laundry.  That is the most excitement I have in my life.  So, I have procrastinated on blogging.  

It was mentioned to me that I forgot to post a picture of the laundry room.  So here it is:


Do you see that little windowless building at the very back of the property - far away from life?  Those campers don't have life.  I am convinced they exist to show that there may be life - but there is not.  Anyway, that itsy, bitsy, very dark building is the laundry.  Now I figured out yesterday what is was about it that I don't like - other than it being on the south 40.  All those creepy guys that I was talking about in my previous blog?  That is where they go to the bathroom and take their showers... in the same room the washers and dryers are in.  Well, not really, it is one big room with two tiny bathrooms built in - they have doors, but they also have showers.  So in this 10 x 15 room where I wash clothes, I also get to share with the guys doing their thing in the bathrooms and showers.  I had enough of it - I did find a place in town to go do my laundry.  Hallelujah!  It is really frightening to be at the back of the property with no one within shouting distance and weird men hanging out...


Knitting.  Remember I tried crocheting first and went around in circles?  Since I didn't have any forward direction there, I decided maybe knitting should be my craft of choice... I tore out all the crochet, looked up on handy dandy You Tube and found out how to knit.  Then I figured out how to purl.  And I went to town knitting and purling.  I did it for a very long time.  And this is what I ended up with:



It lacks about 6 inches being as tall as I am.  

The directions said to make the scarf as tall as the person using it... so I did.  Almost.  It was the last few inches that I realized there was a huge mistake.  I got 4 skeins of yarn when I started this.  I make sure they were all the same lot number.  Actually I got 5 and one was a different lot number,  but I used the 4 matching ones on this scarf and figured the fifth would be a hat and since it wasn't side by side with the scarf it would be ok.  


So, when I laid it out to measure my scarf, I found one problem:



See the last 4-ish inches on the needle?  Different color.  I went back and rechecked the skein number, and it indeed matches the other ones.  So how did it happen that it is different?  And how did I not notice it before I knit so much on there?  

I showed it to my hubby, and bless his heart,  he said it was no problem, just to stop there and to sew the last few inches with the same yarn on the other end, making both ends match.  Makes perfect sense to me, does it to you? 

It was then that I realized that I have no clue how to end this scarf, no clue how to knit on the other  end and no clue how to finish it.  Now I can go to You Tube and look up anything.  Except watching You Tube uses data and I don't have unlimited data - remember?  In fact, our little MiFi is over our data limit and they keep cutting it off, and my cell phone doesn't have a lot left before I run out - and my month just started!


So, what did I do?  I contemplated how to fix it for days.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to knit backwards and I can't figure out how to start again, knit 4-ish inches and add it to the scarf.  Needless to say, I couldn't solve my own problem.  So, I finally rolled the unfinished scarf up and started a new one:




And that is what I am doing now.

So now you are caught up on my life.  Steve is working long days, and I am knitting my heart away and leaving projects unfinished - and still trying to figure out the knitting backwards thing...

But have no fear - when I find a knitter that can walk me through my mess, I will finish.

Or tear it all out and start again. I am not deeming myself a failure yet.


1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

I can hardly tell a difference in the 2! I would leave it and bind off. That's very easy to do.