Monday, May 31, 2010

Do You Have A Bucket List?

I know, I know, it has nothing to do with Thailand, but I have to know:  Do you have a 'bucket list'?  Don't worry, tomorrow, we will get back to Thailand.

When I was 16, I had a journalism teacher give us an assignment of making a 'bucket list'.  Oh, they don't call it that now, but it was the same thing.  Our assignment was to get a piece of paper and write down 20 things we wanted to do in our lifetime - and then we had to save it.  We were required to look back at it often, and if changes needed to be made, they had to be done on another piece of paper - keeping the original. 

Over the years, I have had times when I wanted to change a couple of things, but mostly, mine has stayed the same.  A few years back, with a group of girls called the Scrapals (hi girls!)  (remember in my former US life, I was a scrapbooker) we made what was called a Circle Journal.  I will try very hard to explain this...

We would have a set number of girls join a Circle Journal group.  Each of us would make a journal to be passed around and shared.  We could pick our own topic, decorate our book, have a sign in page, journal about our topic and leave open pages.  Then in a particular order, we would mail our books to the next person on the list by a certain date.  That person, having sent her book on, would journal about whatever the next topic was... some picked "Little Girl of My Heart" which was about a childhood memory, another about "The Good Stuff" which is about something that makes you happy, and another about "My Secret Obsession" which you would pick one thing you are obsessed with (like shoes) and take a picture (oh, yes, you must share a picture with your story!) and then journal about the topic. 

We had 16 girls in this Circle Journal group, and I decided to do a "Dream" book about making a bucket list  about what you want to do in life.  I titled it "I Am a Dream Seeker!"

 As I said, we had to decorate the books and this is what the front of my book looked like:

And inside, I made a list of my dreams:



It was so fun seeing everyone else's dreams!   I still treasure this circle journal, and when I get home, I am going to open it and check out what dreams the other girls have achieved!

I still have my original bucket list, but I am not near it - it is half a world away in the states, so this one is the last one I made, but it was about 5 years ago.  Anyway, some things have been consistent, never changing, like these:

1.  I still want to visit all 50 states.  ( I have been to 37)
2.  I still really want to go to Hawaii (yes, I know it is a state)
3.  I still want to live in a house in the mountains overlooking water
4.  I still want to go on a whale watching cruise
5.  I still want to see and take pictures of covered bridges
6.  I am working on reading the Bible.
7.  I want to live near my family
8.  I want to have a 'city' of bird houses
9.  I would love to have a flower in bloom every month of the year
10.  I want lots of land to call my own
11.  I still want to go to Holland
12.  I want to take pictures of lighthouses
13.  I would love to own a retreat for scrapbookers with a campground as well


The rest of the things, I would like to do, but I would probably leave them off my next bucket list - times and wishes have changed and I no longer yearn for those.

I have made a couple of things on my bucket list come true;  I have seen the deep blue sea finally (Thailand) and today - I leave to go to....


Hawaii!!!
 
I am finally getting excited!  That is number TWO on my bucket list!  WHOOT!

So, I am working toward my goal...  how about you?  Do you have a bucket list?  If not, why don't you sit down and make one tonight?  I would love to hear if you did it!  In the meantime,  I am flying off to the land of volcanoes!  By the time you see my next blog, I will be in Honolulu!  
I was hoping to have blogs posting most of the time I am gone - do you think I did it?  Nope.  

Oh well, you will get a few scattered here and there for the next 3 weeks - but mostly, I will be playing in the sun, tromping up and down a volcano, sleeping by the beach, snorkeling, visiting my aunt on the side of a volcano (her house is on the big island) and visiting with my sister and nieces.  Think that sounds like fun?  Wait!  That is only half of the trip!  THEN we will be heading to California to go to Disneyland with our kids and grandkids!!  WHOOT!!

So, there will be a few posts between here and there, mostly of my last (Thailand) vacation.  If I am missing - it is because I am shooting pictures of my next one!

As Raelee would say - "I am so 'CITED!"

Now scoot off and make a bucket list!  Go on!   DO IT!

1 comment:

Noelle Reese said...

I feel so pathetic!! I don't really have a bucket list. I really wanted to have babies and that was it. I have done that and I love them. Now I am busy raising them and I really don't want to go to Hawaii [or any where else]. I mean if a free ticket landed in my lap I would go. But it's not a MUST do. I don't have any must do's. :-( My brain is wrapped around having a pretty yard. Catching up on scrapbooking the girls. Having garage sales and purging all this crap. Stuff like that with no big desires begging me to make a bucket list. What is wrong with me? LOL
The good news is I am so happy. I love my peeps, I love my jobs. I love everything. I am going to think about doable things I really want to do. I'll get back to you on what I want LOL
Have a GREAT trip!
LN