Friday, May 28, 2010

Can You Make a Rose from a Straw?

Our tour guide in Thailand can!  He was making them out of palm leaves, but ran out - so he started with straws:



Wove his magic:


Then he gave me a rose:
 

I think I posted about this already, but I am just amazed at his talent.  I wish I had taken pictures of the palm leaf ones. 

I found a video of how to do one similar:  Rose Made with Drinking Straws

The one I got was much more detailed and there were no loose ends at the end of the rose.  I even have leaves on mine!

Been a very rough week for me with very little... acknowledgment... here in Singapore.  Sometimes it just sucks being so far away from hugs.  On facebook, I have made a couple of tiny cries for help, and my air hug came from the states.  I love you for reaching out.  I will make it, just an emotional time for me right now.  

A very good friend is having heart surgery tomorrow (Friday) in the states.  Please, please say prayers she will get through it ok.  She has a hole in her heart and a mitral valve that "looks like cheese".  The Dr said she cannot wait any more - so she is finally letting him take care of her.  I love you, Dee!  Wish I were there so I could cheer you on - or kick your backside, whichever you need... somehow I think it is the kicks, but I would do it softly. 

Be back tomorrow.  I am off to pack for Hawaii!!  :-)

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

I hope everything is ok...I have been caught up in my madness and didn't acknowledge yours..I'm sorry for that.
I love you
Stephenie