Thursday, October 22, 2009

A World of Many Ways

20 years ago, my sister lived with us in south Louisiana. After she graduated from high school she joined the Air Force and trained in Biloxi. While she was in training, she met a girl named Jenny from the Philippines. Jenny came to visit us one weekend when Shari came home. Even then I was always open and questioning about other cultures and Jenny was only too happy to share about her life in the Philippines.

While we were chatting about the ways each of us lived, we got into the conversation about foods. Jenny related that in the Philippines, they commonly eat dog. We cringed at the thought of eating dog and uncomfortably laughed in disbelief. Jenny immediately reassured us that they don't eat just 'any' dog, they were careful and only ate dogs they had raised in their yards or that were raised on a 'dog farm'. Of course, we immediately thought 'pets'. Not happening in America.

I have thought about that conversation for many years and grown from it. I came to realize that while we as Americans would not eat dogs, other countries would not eat pork - or cattle - or lamb. What makes dogs any different than any other of God's creatures? Why is it acceptable in the states to eat pork? Pigs can be cute critters... though most people don't keep them as pets - but just what makes them different? I finally came to terms with that dog conversation. No, I won't ever knowingly eat dog or cat, but I can be ok with other cultures that do and accepting of them.

I didn't know 20 years ago that conversation was preparing me for life on this side of the world. Meat tastes different in Asia, and I am going to be quite honest here. I am told that we are eating beef when we order at restaurants; but sometimes you just have to wonder... you know, when the texture isn't quite what you expect it to be and you really cannot pinpoint it? I am sure it probably is beef, but that conversation comes back to me often these days. It is not uncommon for other cultures to eat other critters, and believe me, I am living in a very diverse nation; am I really eating what I ordered?



Today we went to the American Polo Club for lunch. I was not feeling well, and I sat back and listened to the different conversations going on. We had a Korean girl with us from Seoul sitting beside me. Having been to Korea, I know the Korean's eat dog. However, I wondered how she felt when the conversation across the table turned to a little dog being carried away in a bag - and they were wondering if it was for a meal. I quickly turned her attention to my visit in Korea and showed her pictures of my trip on my iTouch, asking her questions about her country... you know, pronunciations, destinies and such.

We had a nice conversation and pleasantly enough, we communicated easily. Her accent was quite strong and she is still learning English. She shared that her children like American pizza and asked where in Singapore she could take them to get it. We chatted about a few other things, then the conversations moved on. I guess I was relieved when the doggy conversation changed to more pleasantries, but I realized once again just how easily a conversation could offend one of our international friends. I am not saying she was offended, but she certainly could have been.

As I sat back and gazed around the table and thought back to Bible Study, I realized that we have so much to learn from other people. Our (the American) way is not the right way; just the way we know. Learning and embracing our differences is a growing experience - one that I think God expects from us. He works in mysterious ways; Jenny's conversation 20 years ago prepared me for this incredible journey that I am on in Singapore. It began opening my eyes to the differences in cultures, traditions and foods.

Who am I to say what critters are acceptable to eat? I have realized that many people eat differently than I do, and that is ok with me. Even in the states that is true. I have realized in a world so vast, we each have different things available to us. Above all, I have realized I should never just accept that America's way as the only way, that it is just one culture in a world of many.

3 comments:

Leone Fabre said...

Good posting, a very good post.

Well said.

I would not 'knowingly' eat dog either .... but that's probably because I have two of them sitting at my feet right now. :-)

... and tarantula's ... no way, but they had no choice during the war in Cambodia. In the jungle they ate what they could find.

We (the westerners) are blessed to have a variety of foods available to us, regardless of where we live ... but sometimes I do feel sad for some in the Asian countries that have very little .... and then have to eat whatever is available.

Cajunrose said...

Ugh...I think I'm going to get tired of fried rice there. I'm very very scared of the food.

cajunsis said...

Your mom is here and she still cooks. She promises you that you will not starve to death.