Saturday, December 6, 2008

NEVER say NEVER...

Long story and I am reallllly ticked right now. We missed our flight. It was not our fault, we left 3.5 hours ahead for a 20 minute drive.




The lines above are from a marathon that encircled our condo entirely. Literally thousands of people running this marathon. Literally. Miles and miles and miles and miles of people. http://www.singaporemarathon.com/en/route/?sec=204&ssec=553

We could not get a taxi in to get us (2 hours), we could not figure out how to get to the airport, finally found a way, we missed our flights, we lost that money on a non-refundable flight, we rebooked, leaving tonight, caught a taxi and spent the next (another 3 hours) hours trying to figure out how to get BACK to our condo. Now it appears we have more flights than we need booked, will be leaving at 11:30pm tonight on the flights we are keeping and arriving a day late. I am working on trying to be sure we have all our bases covered.

Last night I went to the Singapore Land Transport authority http://www.lta.gov.sg/ and you would think THEY would have said something about the marathon track. If they do it is as clear as mud - and hiden in the sand - so I assumed there were no closings. We did leave early just in case because we had heard there was a marathon - on the island. Remember that little walk to 360 on the beach 2 nights ago? Those nice wide paths? I saw a sign there advertising it and assumed it was on the beach. Little did we know.

I said I would never fly American again? Guess what? I am flying American again. Say lots of prayers for us - we are so upset right now, about so many things. I must say - if American gets us home - and safely, I will eat my words. Give me a knife and fork. Never say never. God teaches me knew things every day. I think he taught that taxi driver that we paid $50 patience - because was determined we were not going to drag our luggage and carry ons miles to get home. Thank you Mr Taxi driver. I really do appreciate your persistence at trying - and getting us there long after we were speechless.

When the F-1 came through, taxi drivers were given route maps around this. Taxi drivers this morning were in shock - they had no idea how to get around the thousands of baracades/people/cops. I know the word "CANNOT!" very well now. Believe me. They CANNOT get around our area. I saw it. "Cannot" does not even begin to cover it. I am looking at police below our condo on 4 corners; 6 taxi's stopped, one man outside his vehicle yelling at a policeman, and a line of 6 cars waiting to get directions all around the other cops. God forbid if anyone is in labor now - the marathoners will have to stop to deliver the child - no one could possibly get the mom out!

I am off to bed now. I cannot stay awake and think about this.

CANNOT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh noes! This is not cool. I'm sorry your missing your flight home because of this. You would think the organizers would have been alot better and shared this info with everyone, especially everyone waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of time. Just let me know if you need something.

~Celia